Newbie Introduction And Questions?

joe hawkins

Hello, Steve here, use to ride with Hillsborough MCC some time ago, have just bought my daughter a Oset 16, so will be visitng frequently and maybe have a bike for myself in the future.

I also have a few questions re the 36v Oset 16 we have. I`ve turned the power right down on the parent control and I was hoping to get this down to walking pace but this doesn`t seem possible should it come down to this speed on the 36v?

I`m also aware of the punch from the 36v on pull off, I was wondering if you can run the 36v motor with just 2 batteries at 12v each to reduce the punch?

If I decide to go the 24v route is just a case of swapping out the motor and charger? Are the rest of the elcetrics the same?

Sorry for the total newb questions but im fine on the mechanical side, but still learing on the electrical side.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, if you can not turn the speed down to the level you want then the next step would be to run the bike on 24v ( 2 battery's ) I do not know if there is a LVC ( low voltage cutout ) on the oset controllers so it may just not work but it is worth trying before you invest in a 24v controller you dont need to change the motor, you can not do any harm to the electrics by trying it on 24v .. The pot for turning down the speed do not turn down the power of the bike it just limits the top speed., if you want to have lower power then you will need a lower current limit on the controller .

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. I also have a 36v, the newer version with the latest electronics and recently just for giggles I put 24v to the 36v controller, and it didn't fire up for me. Seems like they might have the LVC gwhy is talking about. Well the real reason I tried it was because my son races his Oset in motocross and I wanted to see if I could run it on 24v's incase one of his batteries went south at the races.

I converted my sons 12.5'' to 36v's. Ended up swapping in all my electronics from the 16'' 36v, so that left my 16'' without any electronics. Now I have a complete 24v OSET system from the 12.5'' stored in a zip lock bag. I would love to trade you my 24v controller and throttle for your 36v controller and throttle. We probably would not spend more then $4 each in shipping. The 24v will go down to a crawl.

Let me know if that interest you. I can ship mine out as fast as tomorrow :).

We can pm each other if interested and we can exchange contact info.

If you need the 36v back later we can swap back no problem.

Edited by awdrocks

It would still be worth trying the 24v on the 36v controller as there were a couple of different model types ( controllers ) that came with the oset. No You dont need the throttle but the the chances of your current throttle having the correct plug for the replacement controller will be slim so it may be best to keep the 36v controller and throttle as a pair and buy a spare throttle from ebay along with a 24v controller if needed.