Fantic Engine Painting

imexian

Hi, i'm going to start to tart up my Fantic 300 after the Peak classic trial this weekend, i need to paint up the motor on it, but don't want to strip it to bits.

There are different views on stripping paint off spraying etc, but can anyone give me a definitive view on this?

How do i get the original paint off? what type of primer do i need, if any? also what type of paint will give me a finish same as or similar to the finish already on it?

Incidentally, there are 3 fins broken on barrel, they are in place held by the vibration rubber between the fins, whats best way of re fixing? araldite, or will i have to weld back on and file up?

Thanks for anyone help in advance.

Regards,

Ian

FIns - I have never used araldite: I understand it a filled epoxy resin type adhesive. I would not recommend using it on the fins. Materials expand and contract with heat. Metals and plastics have different expension and contraction rates, so I would be concerned about the materials eventually coming apart. My recommendation is welding.

Paint stripping and repaint. There are three primary ways to strip paint, heat, chemicals and sand or bead blasting. What are you planning to strip? Just the fins? The cases? Are you planning to disassemble the engine from the frame? What level of painting are you looking for? Show quality, or rattle can?

Hmm, suppose your right on the fin fix, on the engine side, I'm looking to make it look a bit smarter, I ride this bike so does not need to look show finish.

Just a decent finish is ok! The whole motor needs a spray up, but don't need to strip down as if it int broke, don't fix it!

Ian

If you are not going to strip it down I would not suggest sand or bead blasting because of the risk of forcing abrasives past the seals. You could use heat or chemicals but I would pull the engine out of the frame to be able to get at the surfaces well.

Heat with a scraper and wire brush works good but be careful to keep it away from anywhere there is a rubber seal or gasket. Chemical strip will remove most paints pretty well. Make sure you rinse it off very well because most chemical strippers are pretty alkaline. Aluminum and alkaline do not get along very well.

The key to good paint adhesion is clean, clean, clean surfaces. Any oil on the surfaces is bad, WD40 or silicone oil is the worst! Stop by your local auto paint shop and they can recommend some solvents. For the lower end, most good quality spray paints will be OK. Auto parts shops usually carry engine paint in rattle cans. It is pretty good paint and comes in different colors. For the fins it would be good to use high temperature paint.