Sherco 4t

dixie

Howard the automatic decompressor works by a shaft attached to the centrafugal weight which is spring loaded to engage when the engine is stopped. when the engine fires and runs the weight gets thrown outwards and disengages the shaft due to a flat machined in the shaft.

I checked my engine tonight and i can get you a photo if you would like to see it in detail. I am very impressed by the build quality of the engine and the internal finish of the castings. I also loosened up the triangle casing and removed it to fully check the start mechanism. My bike starts well after setting the float level to 18.6mm and now it does not flood the engine.

The bike did not miss a beat during its first trial at the w/end and a few riders had their first taste of the 4 stroke magic. The longer it was ridden the better the engine seemed to get and now after its first service and checkover I am looking forward to the next trial.

johnnysherco

Big John,

This is the embarassing bit, I`m not sure. Removed the tappet cover to do shims, checked the action of the de-compressor, understood how it worked ,and all looked fine. Re assembled motor and realised how easy it was to kick over.And noticed the "clack" evident when turning off,as I hadn`t heard it, after riding the bike for several hours.

Did a service on another 4T, last night ,which had the same symptoms. Checked the actuation of the de-compressor and again it looked fine.Ran the motor before hand to check if I could get it to clatter when at low revs, and it wouldn`t. But an re-assembly, it`s working fine.

I`m missing something, will check if the tappet cover or the gasket can possibly get close enough, to affect the compressor weight.

Will definately let you know if I find something, as I`m not a great believer in Black Magic, although at the moment it`s on the list.

Cheers from a baffled,

ShercoH :D

Big John,

Yes it`s definately the de-compressor, when the motor drops to low revs, the weight on the de-compressor, is not being thrown out , and starts to engage on the exhaust rocker. It`s a sound that`s music to my ears, as I spent two days trying to kick mine over without it working, absolute nightmare. Total opposite now though !!!!!! Spent two days solid on it, and am totally wrapped in the bike, especially in the wet !!!!!

Cheers,

ShercoH :beer::D