Sherco 4t

dixie

The fuel tank on the 4t is only just over two liters but it does seem to use quite a lot

Has anyone worked out if the new four bangers are really thirsty

What about the honda?

How much does a 290 2t use on an average trial?

I have been on reserve a few times and run right out once

i recon reserve is about 10cc watch out

I was looking for an excuse for a quick rest at trials having hit the big

four o

now i go back to the jeep for a splash and dash (me and the bike)at half distance better safe than sorry

My 4RT seems thirsty on fuel. In the SSDT, I actually ran out on the Thursday run from Fort William to Chairlift, about a mile or 2 before the fuel check, and again on Friday on the moors but luckily only about 200 yards from the check. Don't know of anyone else running out, just me I think. It also seemed at the fuel checks that it was taking longer to top up my tank than the 2 strokes - which is strange given that it is a smaller tank - or so I believe as I haven't measured it.

Out of interest, I was told that according to Sandifords, the 4RT has a 2.2 litre tank and a range of 70-odd kilometres, whereas the 315 has a 2.7 litre tank but a range of 37 kilometres. This is what someone told me, I didn't get that direct from Sandifords themselves so don't know if it is correct or not. Didn't seem that way when I had run out......

Does seem strange that it uses more fuel than I thought it would. My old YZ426 Yam would do 2 hours plus racing to a standard motocross tank which was easily better than a 250 2-stroke on a similar sized tank. Would have thought that the 4RT and 4T would have shown the same fuel trend in economy.

Not a very scientific answer, but in case it helps...when I go out riding with my pal on his 4RT, I always run out of fuel before him..(my bike is a Beta Rev3 270)...mind you, I think mine is guzzling more than some other Betas out there.

I rode a 4rt in Scotland and no problems at all, was pulling higher gears across the moors instead of buzzing it, but that was purely for pace and not thinking of fuel economy!!

I think the reason for the slow refill is that brace that runs across the tank just inside the cap hole. The army guys just took it easy instead of it p***ing everywhere!!

I never geared it back to standard for SSDT so back sprocket was (is) 43 teeth. I was up to 100kph on the road at times but that was in no way buzzing the motor - never felt under geared felt like there was plenty left but I never went over that. Likewise on the moors and tracks it would pull 4th and 5th so wasn't really buzzing it. Thought it may be because I had the vent holes taped over in the mudguard to stop muck getting around the airbox - maybe that caused it to run a bit rich.

I know what you mean about the brace and it could be why it took longer to refuel. It was really p*ssing the army guys off

I know what you mean about the brace and it could be why it took longer to refuel. It was really p*ssing the army guys off

Yeah, though by midweek a good few of them had got the hang of it & got the nozzle in beyond the brace, no problems then!!

• 2 weeks later...

The only trouble i have when hot is opening the throttle slightly out of habit

if this occurs i open the throttle about a third and boot away ,four kicks normally has it purring

other than that it is normally second kick and away

the power seems smoother now it has 30 hours on it and it has stopped burning oil on initial start from cold

Just got my 4T ,and I`m 58 kilo`s. Tore my hair out trying to start it !!!

Turns out the decompressor was not working properly. I was throwing myself at the starter, to try and turn it over.Now I just press down on the lever and it fires into life, almost as easy as the Montesa.

Noticed that when the bike is turned off there is a metalic "clack" as the decompressor engages at low revs, as the motor winds down. This was not evident before, when hard to start. Hope this helps anyone with starting problems. Totally transformed the bike !!!!!!!

Cheers,

ShercoH. :D:beer:

Hi Howard

Glad to see you got it started - had us all a bit worried hiding behind the van by section 2 there... but how did it go, should I start saving my dollars and being a model husband for a few weeks...

Paul Mac

Paul,

Runs great, plenty of torque and traction, just a little distressing with the starting. Different bike now though, catch me at the next meet and take it for a run. Start saving your dollars, and always be a model husband !! not just when you want something, they have long memories I have noticed.

Cheers,

ShercoH