Water Pump Seal Failure W/pics (After Shaft & Seal Replaced)

mbeers6

Hoping someone here can help me out. I have a 2011 gas gas TXT Pro/Eco 250 with about 70 total hours. I was riding and saw that the tranny window was strawberry colored so I replaced both the water pump seal and the shaft as the shaft had some shinyness to it.

Flushed tranny 3 times, everything looked fine then 3 hours later.....the seal fails again. Took it apart and saw that the seal had peeled up (see pics below). I have no idea why it did this as I followed the instructions on the gas gas video. Could it be because I used a white lithum grease vs silicon grease? The threads looked pretty bad on the impeller too.

Could it b/c I tightened (counter clockwise) the WP shaft too tightly? It spun okay when put back together, but not smooth as butter or anything.

So I've ordered a new seal and impeller. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any thoughts on what I did wrong to cause this?

IMG_0532_zps3cd377a6.jpg

IMG_0539_zps60e99fcf.jpg

IMG_0543_zps17e2b04c.jpg

IMG_0546_zpsc72fc114.jpg

Mark - WTF! Still making strawberry milkshakes after the rebuild?

UPDATE: mbeers6 was supplied the water pump seal for the TXT and not the Pro. Confirm the part number.

After comparing your photos and the parts microfiche: http://www.lewisport...o_all_parts.pdf ; and having disassembled my waterpump 2 hrs. ago (after adjusting my SHIFT SELECTOR SPRING 'ECCENTRIC' TOP SHAFT) ;

On my water pump,,when assembled, the AXLE TURBINE in flush against the seal.

IMG_0532_zps3cd377a6.jpg

Watch video at 1:39 showing snapring is flush with seal.

http://youtu.be/AEqQvL23bgs

BTW - Upon inspection my WATERPUMP TURBINE needs replacement. I just ordered a waterpump rebuild kit, but probably have to wait till next week due to the World Rounds (USA),

Edited by seavoyage