Txt Pro 280 2002(First Trials Bike)

paynts01

Hi all just bought myself a gas gas txt pro 280 (2002). The bike has the 250 head which was professionally fitted. I assume to tame it slightly ?. Bike looks a little tired but i intend to bring it back to looking good.

Not ridden trials before as ive always been into motocross but had enough of that now.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for parts as they seen few and far between, im after the seat section plastics as mine is tatty and someone has tried spraying it. complete graphics and some bling.

Is the 2002 the same as other year models etc for parts. I have heard 2002-2008 are the same in pro range ?.

Going out for the first time tomorrow and looking forward to it.

Hope to be here for a long time with lots of questions.

Cheers Andy

hello and welcome- your txt pro is very simular to 2002 to 2008 so there is a good parts availability at dealers. phone gasgas uk up and they will sort you with what you need. with the gasgas pros in particular be very careful starting it them, they are very easy to damage the expensive gears if you have the wrong technique.try to take up the slack first and drive down with your body. dont hack at it! other than this you have a very good bike:) good luck and enjoy the sport!

Thanks shercoben. So basically start it like you would a 250 4 stroke mx bike.

Get the piston to the top and a firm kick.

Is it best to buy plastics etc direct from gas gas ?.

Last owner told me he ran it on 50-1 which he said was 5 ltr fuel to 100ml oil. Would this be correct.

yes thats the right starting technique:)

as its such a small market its no cheaper to buy online so gasgas uk would eb your best bet and you get it next day. 50-1 is too much. you will just clog up your exhuast and it will be far to smoky. most gg riders use 70-75 mls of oil to 5l of petrol. make sure the octane of the fuel you buy is higher than 98 otherwise you can get an engine knock called pinging....

• Like 1

keep the bike oiled up. and change the gear oil every 5-6 hours. the amount you should put in is about 450mls. so halfway up the sight glass when level.clean/inspect/oil your air flter every ride. there are many gear oils out there. atf dexron 3 is cheap and gives a good clutch action due to it being thin.

its not so good for bearing though.gasgas uk recommend putoline light gear oil. i use this stuff http://www.globalracingoil.co.uk/gear_trans it eliminates the clutch drag for me and is very good quality and recommend by the gasgas factory itself.

anymore questions please ask...

ben

Edited by shercoben12