I'm Back, Getting A '05 Pro 300

bigsaint

A few months ago I asked and recieved great advice from this board. Finally made the decision to get the Pro 300, which I should have in a week or so.

Two questions... does anyone have a link for a PDF service manual ? The links apparently are broken on the Gas Gas USA site. Also, I'd like to pick up another air filter so I have a spare to swap out. Is the air filter a Twin Air foam or another make and is there a compatabilty with another bike ?

Thanks in advance ! I'll post some pics as soon as I get the new ride.

Scott W.

Bigsaint, you should get a hardcopy manual with the bike. It's not truely what I'd call a service manual, more like an owners manual, but all that is available.

As for the filters, I think they are unique to the Pros. It's like a mini MX style filter. The older ones used Twin Air filters as stock parts, but GG may have sourced out another source for 2005, I'm honestly not sure. Either way I think you'll find the filters are pretty cheap regardless.

Congrats on the new addition to the Saint household!!!

If you still have my previous e-mail, gimme a ring or drop me a line when you take delivery. I'm just up the road from you.

If you need another air filter, you've got an awful lot of options. How about the dealer you got the bike from, first of all? (Did you go back to TriCounty?) Or, there's a bunch of dealers online. Also, you may want to subscribe to "Trials Competition" - the monthly newspaper for the trials scene in the US. They have lots of dealers advertise, most of whom can drop ship parts very quickly. And finally, if you're gonna be riding at all with the guys in Franklin, they are some of the nicest guys around - and have lots of experience with GG's. They should be able to hook you up with parts or info pronto.

For what it's worth, when we got my wife her GG Pro-200 new in '02, it did not have any manual either. We were *promised* one, but none ever materialised. (Her '96 came with a video tape made by Rising Sun, showing Jim Snell doing all the tear down stuff in his shop. Pretty cool.)

Anyway, conrats again, and best of luck! Try not to cry when you drop it the first time.... :P

JTT, thanks ! Have you done any business with Lewisport USA or Dallan in the Great White North ?

Buster, I tried several times to reply to your original email and it was returned undeliverable ? You are up in Highland Lakes right ? I ended up getting ( about to get) the bike from Dom @ Keystone Cycle in PA. I shopped around a bit out of state and he gave me the best price and is willing to deliver for the price of gas, can't beat that. We have to hook up as soon as I get the bike. I also want to try to get with Ateb if I can locate his email.

I should hopefully have the bike very soon, Keystone is getting more in stock this week.

Huh - not sure why your e-mails to me were returned. I've gotten a few others from here in the past two months. Strange.

Try this one: notepad101(at)gmail.com (Obviously replace "(at)" with "@").

Oh yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about Lewisport. LOTS of good things. I'm very happy for ya. If you call them, I'm sure they have plenty of air filters in stock and will send one (or two) extras along when they deliver the bike. (And what a great deal on delivery charges!!)

I don't know who "Ateb" is that you're referring to, but if you know the guy's real name let me know when you write to me, and I'll see if I can dig it up. I don't keep in touch much with the Rt.15 gang too often, but I think I have some of their numbers in a drawer somewhere, if he's one of them.

Best of luck again! My wife and I are looking forward to meeting up with you.

Bigsaint, I personally haven't dealt with Lewisport, but have heard nothing but positive feedback about them. Spoken to Dallan once of twice, seem like decent folks too.

JTT, thanks again :D

Buster, I'll try that addy you provided tonight. Looking forward to meeting up with guys as well. I think his screen name was Ateb, don't recall his first name. I spoke with him once on the phone, believe he's from the Jefferson area ??? Also, signed up last night for that trials newspaper you mentioned.

I need to make a decision on boots asap, don't know if my mx boots are gonna be flexible enough for this type of riding. Anyone have experience with the Alpinestars no stop ? I have a Hebo helmet coming with the bike from Keystone. Also have 2 liters of GM Auto trak2 for gearbox, plan on changing it frequently due to the capacity or lack thereof :P

Well, no e-mail from you this morning, so I'll assume some gremlin in my computer is eating them. Wouldn't be the first time.

The heck with the middle man - just give me (Tom) a call: 973-764-6754

Be warned though: I go to bed at 6pm (start work at 3am), so if you call after that you'll have to talk to my wife. Who will melt your ear. LOL...lovely gal, but when she gets talking about trials she never stops. But she'll be more than happy to hear from you if you've got the aural fortitude :P

Good job on getting Trials Comp! They run great articles, riding tips, etc. I think you'll enjoy it.

Don't use MX boots with a trials bike if you can help it. As you intimated, they are too stiff for trials gyrations. Plus, they're heavy. And one of the more important aspects: they have smooth soles. Dabbing on slippery ground could see your foot slide away from you, resulting in a hilarious crash instead of a splendidly graceful save. Since this is your first trials bike, that may happen more frequently than you'd like.

I used to use Alpine Stars (the model right before the "No Stop") and loved them. They lasted me for years, too. As long as you find them comfortable you should be fine. In fact, ALL the popular boots seem to get good reviews - they must know what they're doing in Cobbler World by now. I currently use Hebo's, and my wife rides Gaernes. Don't see any downside to any of them. Again - just make sure they're comfy. Standing, as opposed to sitting, makes this consideration very important in trials.

Thanks Tom, sounds like good advice on the boots. I'll do some internet shopping tonight.

Just sent a test email. Last night was a bear at work with the storm that came through town, got home late and didn't even think of emailing. Gotcha on the time also :P

ateb = Rich Tuttle SAMORRY@worldnet.att.net. Yes the now famous Rt.15

boys are alive and well. Scott, we spoke on the phone some time ago.

Feel free to contact me and arrange to ride. We have all levels of riders

from novice to expert. E-mail me or give me a call 973-663-1237.