Free-Play Between Clutch Basket And Gear.

toman21

Just changed the clutch basket for a new one, after i had riveted it on to the gear there was a small amount of free-play between the gear and the basket. The rivets look will seated and are hit flat. Not sure why there is any free-play :huh:

Obviously these things are designed to allow some rotation against the cushion rubbers. Did you replace them as well? I do not recall excess play by hand on these things. War there movement prior to your replacement?

Yes I changed the rubbers aswell. The movement is back and forward not if you try and rotate it like the way it would move when the bike is running. Its only a very small bit tho , can't remember if it was there before.

That was what I found when I did mine a few months ago, had the importer surprised when he saw me at a 6day at the start of the month, couldn't believe how quiet & tidy my 9 year old bike was especially as it's done huge hours & only had 1 piston kit fitted since new

Comparing how the new rubber dampers feel compared to the old ones explains why the clutch gets noisy, the old ones are quite inflexible & have shrunk which is where the play & noise comes from

Very cheap way to make a noisy motor quiet