Just Bought A Ty 175

tworivers

I have had a problem with the bike only running with the choke out, only needed to be out a little but would rev high then die if you closed it completely. I have ( fingers crossed) sorted it out by cleaning the carb, taking out the jets etc etc and blowing out with comp air. It popped and spluttered at first but now seems ok.

My question.

How do you set the carb up for normal field use? I have had a look in the owners workshop manual but can,t seem to find anything about setting the mixture.

Thanks

Standard problem on any 2T the PILOT jet will get blocked! If it runs on the choke the choke circuit is good and the moment you take off the choke the engine dies, splutters or is not smooth then the pilot jet is blocked. Blow it out with compressed air. Depending on who has been playing with it will determine what jets you have. Standard is 240 main, 25 pilot. Standard airscrew setting 1.75 turns out as datum. The above vid is good but I would suggest you start with a slightly higher rpm by turning in the idle screw which effectively raises the slide. This makes it easier to hear an increase or decrease as you adjust the airscrew. When you have it adjusted SLAM the throttle wide OPEN and see if it accelerates smoothly. Also before starting any of this make sure you have the correct plug gapped at around 22-25 thou NGK9ES, NGK7ES will do and the points set at 15 thou.

Tony

Thanks for the great info, the main nozzle, pilot jet were blocked as suggested plus a fairly dirty fuel tap filter.

I have only just got thins bike so I have no idea on what mixture is in he tank etc. first thing willl be to change the fuel so i know what i am dealing with then I will go through the things suggested by tony over the next few days. Just watched the video, that gives some good info.

Cheers. Have a good weekend.

• Like 1

try putting a carb rebuild kit in ............... fresh o rings will help with it running weak. check the air filter is good too. maybe check reeds are seated while you are there.

my ty ran like poop till I did this.