Montesa Cota 349 Marzocchi Forks On Ty175.

africanjon

Do you mean Marzocchi forks or Cota 349 forks?

If you mean 349 forks, I think I have measured them up previously and found they are a bit short - so the front of the bike would end up lower. You could probably find longer tubes though.

The leading axle design of the 349 forks would require you to use the Cota 349 triple clamps to maintain suitable steering trail on the TY175.

For heavier riders, the 349 forks would have a better action and spring rate than the TY175 forks.

Hi feetupfun! These are ones I saw on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTESA-COTA-349-348-1979-FRONT-35mm-FORKS-AHRMA-TRIALS-BETOR-CERIANI-MARZOCCHI-/251290134882?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a820f2962&vxp=mtr. I am trying to find another option for my 175. I weigh around 185lbs 84kg and liked the fact they were wider.

OK I see there are no triple clamps included with those 348 forks so 35mm triple clamps from some other trials bike with leading axle forks would be needed

The most common fork swap for heavier riders on TY175s is to fit TY250 twinshock forks. They are 34mm diameter and the TY250 twinshock front end is interchangeable with no fuss with the TY175. One of my TY175s is set up like this and they work well - I weigh 95kg.

Hi. Just put a pair of marzocchis on my TY recently - think they may have been from a Fantic rather than Montesa though. I used the Marzocchi yokes and I found a few problems. Firstly the stem diameter is smaller than TY item so I had to turn some spacers to sleeve the bearing races in order to use the Yamaha races in the headstock. Second problem I came across was that the headstock lower face fouled on the top of the bottom yoke. I had to grind the bottom edge of the headstock in order to allow the forks to turn from side to side instead of binding. I also found that the stem is slightly shorter than TY. As you will see it is not a straight swap!

On the plus side they appear to have a better action than the TY forks and have a similar rake to my Beta Rev 3, also the handlebar mounts are further forward than the TY. (Frame has had 'Majesty' type mod to rear shock mount and is fitted with 360mm shocks so this may also help with the rake)

Don't know what they are like in action yet though as I still have to rebuild the TY engine. Hope this helps

Regards

Bill

Thanks feetup and wildbill. I have read a number of different views on forks for the Ty175, from Ty250 and 350 to using Magical springs with spacers. It would seem there are pros and cons to each. My forks are very bouncy as they feel that they gain momentum rather than a consistent return. I think if I recall that you did not like the magicals on your setup, is that right feetup? I also had a look at replacement yokes from the twinshockshop which apparently improve the ride as they alter the angle and improve steering position, as opposed to frame mods?

Choices, choices!