Want To Bring My Ty 250 Twinshock Back To Life!

tawsie

Hi, I bought a ty twin back in 1994 when I was 14. The last time I had it out it cut out and never started again (almost 10 years ago). I'm going to buy a starter tune up kit etc for it and try to get it going. It's been sitting in a dry shed the whole time so I don't think it'll be seized. What should my procedure be? Spray wd40 into cylinder?

Also want to change gearbox oil, but which oil do I use?

It was a 1986 'C' registered bike and I've been telling people for almost 20 years that it was a 1986 twinshock, but that's surely incorrect??!! Only just beginning to realise it's most probably from the late 70's! How can I find out?

It's got a slightly squarer tank than almost all pictures I've googled from late seventies, but I did see a 1978 twinshock with a similar tank.

Ultimately, I need a manual! But the manual I found only goes up to 175! And I'm not sure of the year!

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

I think the bike will be a 1986, Colin Appleyards in Yorkshire had a batch of these.

The tank is a squared off version of the normal tank.

The gearbox runs ok on ATF oil from any carspares shop.

A manual from an 1978 ty250 model will be the same.

Edited by twinshocktosser

If you want it identified, post up a decent picture of it and have a look at the frame and engine numbers to see what they start with.

Yes they sold twinshock TY250s until the late 1970s. The design did not advance since the 1976 model, but there a few changes of graphics after that and different-looking models were sold in different places around the world

Before you start it, remove the powdered remains of the foam air filter and fit a new one before that stuff gets sucked into the motor.

Clean out the carby especially the pilot airways and pilot jet

Clean out the fuel tank and fuel tap

Check for spark

Motors sitting a long time without a good protective coating of oil on the crank and conrod bearings often suffer catastrophic bearing failure when put back into use. To avoid unnecessary damage to the cylinder piston and rings, consequent to a bearing failure, be ready to shut it down fast if it starts making odd noises.

It could be a late registered one, I have seen a D reg twinshock, possibly old stock or incorrectly dated when reg'd, may be used the reg letter from the year. Can you put a picture on or a link to a pic ?? Monos came out around 85 / 86 so there was an overlap.

Don't bother with WD in the cylinder, just mix up some fresh mix and it should be fine, if it hasn't been started , nurse it for a while don't over rev it. Once started let it tick over , get it warm etc.

I would flush out the engine with fresh two stroke mix.

I think Yamaha recommend 20w-50 for the gearbox on these.

20w-50 is about 5 times as thick as ATF at 100 degrees Celsius.

Edited by dadof2

Here's a photo of a photo of the bike! Last 2 numbers on frame and engine are 86. Does this confirm its age?

So I'll pour some 50-1 into the cylinder and gently turn with kickstart before drying and kicking properly. And change gearbox oil. Any other oils I need to change?

Thanks guys

Here's a photo of a photo of the bike! Last 2 numbers on frame and engine are 86. Does this confirm its age?

So I'll pour some 50-1 into the cylinder and gently turn with kickstart before drying and kicking properly. And change gearbox oil. Any other oils I need to change?

Thanks guys

it is the first four digits of the numbers that are relevant. It will probably be something like 493-2****** or 493-1********

Edited by feetupfun

G'day, ATF is fine for the gearbox. It is probably the best oil you can use for it. And one of the cheapest if you use Dex-3. Follow David's (Feetup Fun) suggestions as well. He has hundreds of them! Aircleaner element available from your local Yamaha place, or Trials UK

Cheers,

Stork

Right, got a few bits.

It turns over fine with kickstart.

Fitted new coil but not getting any spark at plug. Also kill switch is removed and is left as a loose wire at the moment. Will this affect spark at all?

Should I be looking at the points and condenser next? I have these here anyway. When it stopped all those years ago it just cut out and never started again.

G'day, If you have them there and new, fit them. It's about all thats left that will prevent a spark. You will need a flywheel puller, it's a pretty standard one available from a bike shop near you.

Cheers,

Stork