Back Wheel Hops, Clutch, Brake Or Both?

sawtooth

See video below, I can do this all day long on a mountain bike, when I land on the back wheel I hit the back brake as I 'recock' the pedals ready for the next hop. Want to learn this on my Gas Gas so my question is as there's no need to recock the engine so to speak between hops is it best to still use tbe rear brake or is it best to try to catch it on the clutch?

I have been trying to do this for a while now................ its hard.................. i can only do the bit where you hop the wheel off the ground at the start from a stand still. I think they use the back brake when they land then release it with the ping of the clutch? probably...

Thanks for using my YouTube video! :P

Edited by lewis cosgrove

Yeah logically I think the back brake is used between hops. Being able to do it on a mountain bike I should have the clutch action timing dialled at least as thats obviously where the back brake is on an mtb so now I just need to factor in the biting point, rear brake action, the balance point of the rear wheel and the whole lurching body movement. Not too much to figure out then!

• Like 1

When I first tried learning it on an mtb (17yrs ago) I thought it would be too much to think about at once but eventually it became natural. Granted oits trickier on a motorbike so it'll probably take a lot longer.

I have been trying to do this for a while now................ its hard.................. i can only do the bit where you hop the wheel off the ground at the start from a stand still. I think they use the back brake when they land then release it with the ping of the clutch? probably...

Thanks for using my YouTube video! :P

A close look of the vid says that's exactly what happens, land on the rear brake then a flick of the clutch on the upward body movement.

Not something I'll ever get the timing for though