2001 Txt Shock Question

algreen

Howdy!

New to the forum and new to trials. Just picked up a 2001 txt and after its first cleaning, I noticed something unusual about the shock. Other than the bumper to prevent bottoming being gone (disintegrated), there appears to be no adjuster in the shock bottom (see pic) any recommendations here? Is there a screw missing?post-18773-0-89214900-1375844020_thumb.jpg

I reinstalled the shock and adjusted the spring length to 140mm as per the manual (it was previously set at 150mm).

Edited by algreen

Thanks for the quick reply. What do you mean by "u/s"? Can it be replaced?

I'm planning to replace the oil and seals in the forks. I believe the manual recommends 5wt. Are people typically using 5, or going heavier, like 7?

I had the same happen to my 2001 TXT. It's just the adjuster screw which is a taper that pushes the rod you can see up and down which in turn adjusts the damping. If I remember correctly it will default to the slowest setting.

If you need to rebuild, they are a sealed shock but a good suspension guy should be able to fix. You don't say where you are but if in the UK ask factory Kev at GGUK and in the US ask Jim Snell.

Thanks. I'm based in Chicago, USA, and fortunately, Jim Snell is only a 90 min drive from me. I'll inquire with the local expert. :)

Any common wisdom on the front suspension? Stick with stock oil viscosity and height?

i'm 16 stone and have no problem with sae 5 in the forks.don't think you would notice any difference with sae 7,Might be cheaper for your shocker if u can pick 1 up of e bay,although you might be able to get it repaired.but normally your shocker will have no damping,with the adjuster missing.Or ring Jim Snell up,for more info.

i'm 16 stone and have no problem with sae 5 in the forks.don't think you would notice any difference with sae 7,Might be cheaper for your shocker if u can pick 1 up of e bay,although you might be able to get it repaired.but normally your shocker will have no damping,with the adjuster missing.Or ring Jim Snell up,for more info.

Thanks for the tips. I have an unopened 7wt oil sitting around, so I'll give that a try. I'll keep looking online for replacement shock, but in reality, this is just a starter bike for me and I don't want to invest too much. Once I get it detailed and functioning optimally, I'll trade up to something newer next season.

Thanks for the tips. I have an unopened 7wt oil sitting around, so I'll give that a try. I'll keep looking online for replacement shock, but in reality, this is just a starter bike for me and I don't want to invest too much. Once I get it detailed and functioning optimally, I'll trade up to something newer next season.

Check with Jim Snell. They may have some reasonably priced aftermarket shocks.

The problem you have is not unusual as the adjustment screws are fairly delicate on shocks (all shocks) and riders will force them when bottomed out. Kinda like the top caps on forks where riders think tighter is better when they should only be just snug.

Jon