Newbie With Tech Questions

lynsky39

Hi everyone,

a few simple questions from someone new to both trials and monoshock/liquid cooling!

I recently borrowed a ty175 to learn my 12yr old the basics of motorcycling,this as gone extremely well,

with this followed the purchase of a Gas Gas 327for myself to follow him around the quarry on.

Here are my questions.

If we wished to compete are there suitable classes for a12yr old on a 30yr old ty175 or would i need to get something else ?. The Gas Gas recently lost coolant due to a loose hose,never having owned a water cooled bike before how much/what type coolant is required?also how do you set up the forks etc ie how much air ?.sorry for sounding numb but my motor biking is all twinshock MX based so its all new to me.

regards gary

I'm kind of a noob myself, but I will give this a shot. I don't know for sure the regs for trials in the UK, but in my club the lower two classes (Beginner and Novice) would both be doable on a ty175. We also have a TS class (twin shock) that rides the lower lines for more experinced riders on older bikes, so I think he will easily have a class that he can enjoy and grow into. I have also found this page http://www.gasgas.com/tech.htm to be helpful with specific info for Gasgas models.

Lynsky where are you from ?

i dont think the forks on a Gas Gas are designed to be air assisted, you can by fork caps with valves as an aftermarket part but these are just to let out any pressue that builds up. Do you know what year your bike is ?

any adjustemnt to the forks may be damping or it could have a pre load adjuster on one leg.

top the coolant up with neat anti freeze, it must be compatible with aluminium engines