Help! Engine Knocking

dannysherco

I have just put a new top end bearing and crank seals in my 1999 sherco 250, I've started the bike up and it sounds like there is a knocking sound coming from the clutch side of the bottom end, all bottom end bearings are sound tho? Wen I pull the clutch in the sound disappears??? Any ideas?

Yes put oil in it lol the oil I took out seemed to be quite thick tho? Would this have dampened the sound to some extent? And what oil would you suggest to put in? The noise seems to be coming from in front of the clutch around the primary drive gear? Have had the clutch case off twice now double checked everything, crank, bottom end and top end bearings all feel solid too, this has baffled me??? It really is quite a noticeable knock/rattle sound unless clutch is in? I have read about the 01 onwards clutch baskets being dampened? Is this clutch basket comparable with mine and do u think it would make a difference? Thanks for the replys guys.

Yes put oil in it lol the oil I took out seemed to be quite thick tho? Would this have dampened the sound to some extent? And what oil would you suggest to put in? The noise seems to be coming from in front of the clutch around the primary drive gear? Have had the clutch case off twice now double checked everything, crank, bottom end and top end bearings all feel solid too, this has baffled me??? It really is quite a noticeable knock/rattle sound unless clutch is in? I have read about the 01 onwards clutch baskets being dampened? Is this clutch basket comparable with mine and do u think it would make a difference? Thanks for the replys guys.

The later clutch hubs are interchangeable, yet abit pricey! Nice update but not sure I would worry that much about it if not rattling otherwise, as even a new one will rattle some.

The orig oil spec was 40 wt wich is somewhat thick or high viscosity.