Help With Gas Gas Fork Seals Please :)

monty_trials

Hi peeps

I removed the seals from my 2006 Gas Gas 250 pro, and the replacement seals are the wrong size as the new ones are smaller??? I read somewhere that some of the Gas Gas forks are a "upgraded size forks?" The part number reads in this order "40. 52.2 10.5"

Been looking on ebay and they seem very expensive for just 2 seals as i bought the other smaller size for only £2.40 for the pair! Other ones on ebay read 52.2 40.10.5??? Does it matter what order the numbers are? Can anyone tell me where i can get them at a normal price? Already spent a lot on the bike so dont want to go over bored!! OR....With fork seals is it better to spend a bit more than usual so they last a bit longer??

Been out the trials game a while now so need as much info and help as possible, as i bought it as the owner said it was trials ready but after riding it just half a day realized it needs loads doing to it, as the bike is pretty much in bits now :(

please help

Up to 2004 gas gas were 38 mm 2004 on they went to the 40mm forks,It dosen't matter which way size says 40mm external dia of the chrome, 52.5 inside dia of fork leg,and 10.5 is depth of seal,prices vary on e bay from £7 odd to £11 odd

Edited by bilks
  • Like 1

thanks guys

ive ordered the 40. 52 10.5 not the "52.2" been told there is no such size or it won't make a difference? Anyone else had this issue?

Also when i removed the original, it was a hell of a job? as they both seemed like they were very tightly fitted against the cast of the fork??? I did remove them but i nearly destroyed them when removing????? For future reference...Is there a proper way of taking them out?

thanks guys

ive ordered the 40. 52 10.5 not the "52.2" been told there is no such size or it won't make a difference? Anyone else had this issue?

Also when i removed the original, it was a hell of a job? as they both seemed like they were very tightly fitted against the cast of the fork??? I did remove them but i nearly destroyed them when removing????? For future reference...Is there a proper way of taking them out?

A little careful heat from a propane torch or a heat gun will break the bond and the seals will come out a lot easier. I always use a torch with no problem but some are afraid of burning something, never have.

• Like 1

As for removing them,remove the bolt at the bottom of the leg,and make sure you remove the clip that hold the seal in the leg,then it should be a case of pulling on the stantion cpl of times and it should come out fairly easily, complete with the lower bush.