Has Anyone Built Thier Own Oset Bike ?

dougstar

Hi,

As the title says really who's done it and what sort of issues did you come up against in the process ?

Basically I have been in two minds to go down the petrol or electric route as a starter for my 8yr old, really not many decent petrol ones around (been searching for couple of months) unless you start spending £1k + and then you still dont know what sort of a life they have had !

Then of course after watching a few recent trials all the kids seem to be on these Oset bikes and looks like this is the way forward but after being brought up on petrol bikes I suppose that's why I wanted to smell the 2stroke bliss again but that coupled with the obvious noise difference and lack of training areas it looks like Oset it is.

I have just briefly priced up all the relevent parts from the main Oset dealer and a couple from a decent Mountain bike dealer and have got together a pretty decent packedge for a 16.0 36v bike for £1000 !! the RRP is £1139 for a lesser spec !

So it has to make sense surley ? The putting together isn't a issue but I have a feeling that I have missed something ???

Any ideas ?

Comments ?

Tips ?

All points gladly taken on board

Thanks in advance

Dougie

• 2 months later...

It's hard to believe all the components add up to less than a whole bike but if they do then go for it, sounds like a fun project you could do with your lad.

My only concern is the 16" bike for an 8yo, it might be a touch on the small side. Maybe take him to a local dealer where he can have a sit on a 20".

• 2 months later...

Iv´e built aswell as bought ready OSET bikes:

1)Homemade 12.5/24V bike.(replica..sort of).

2)Bought and built a 16/36V bike in factory spec. (with phone support from osetbikes, many thanks!)

3)Bought and built a homemade, "Youtube-Spec" 20"/36V bike based on a 16" with extended rear swing, new fork and of course 20" wheels.

4)Bought a standard 20" 48V Bike.

I have a mechanic/electrician-mixed background and also have access to a decently equipped garage.

My idea was to teach my kids, 7/5/3 at the time to see "how it´s done" as i had quite a few nostalgic memories of me

hanging out with my dad in his garage in the early eighties...all i can say is " the times they are a changin" my friend :blush: .

Todays kids(Mine anyway) dont cope too well with anticipation/waiting(Sorry, i´m Swedish)

Anyway, if you are a handy person it can be done, but i doubt that it is much cheaper in the end.

(It is easy to forget all the small parts that goes on a bike and then you need to place an other spareparts order etc, etc)

Most of the "improvements" i made to the bikes i have later altered back to factory spec.;-)

Should i do it again i´d go for a used bike, Saw a used one in good condition at approx 7500 SEK(£700) here in Sweden a few months ago.

The bikes are fantastic btw.

We ride them just for fun, trailriding more than trials as we live outback and have nice riding areas.

Not a single angry comment from those who has seen us riding them for 2 1/2 years now,

Other kids with petrol bikes come along sometimes when we ride but my kids don´t find those bikes much interesting so i´m glad

as long as they stay electric..