Any Tips When Changing Fork Seals?

unicronicus

I'm just about to change my leaky fork seals on my jtx250 but just wanted to know how straight forward it is before I start. I have changed fork oil seals with success on other bikes without damping control but never with! Is there anything else I should do or be aware of when doing this job? From what I can gather it is literally forks off, unscrew big nut from the top and pull out spring and damper unit as one, drain oil, undo bottom fork bolt, remove dust seal, remove top circlip, pull tubes apart, remove oil seal, install new oil seal with small amount of grease around the lips, assemble the reverse way, fill with 300ml of oil in each tube, reinstall damper and spring and refit. Sound about right? Or is there some sort of bleeding to do as well?

Ok, so I removed the floating seal holder and it was pretty mashed so ordered a couple of news ones. When I re-assemble the forks then do I put the fork tube into the fork leg first, and then slide the floating seal unit into place? Then install the rest, I.e. Damping unit, lower bolt, fill with oil (300cc's), pump a few times to bleed and then tighten the damping unit up?

I would think the reverse of how it came apart. The holder on first (with out the seals, the fork tube, then install the seals with a plastic tube for a driver. Remember that the top nut only needs to be barely snug as the o-ring does the rest. I could always tell if someone had been in a set of forks that I had worked on before, since I left them hand tight almost.

I found the Jim snell videos but he didn't go into detail about assembling the floating seal unit, only that it comes undone, the rest seems straight forward. I'll follow lineaways recommendation of assembly when all my parts get here, luckily the floating units are only £26 each.