Trials Gearing - Villiers 37A

farmer58za

Hi All

I re-built my Cheetah trials bike (37A Villiers motor) a few years ago, but have only now started to use it in classic trials. The bike was put together with whatever came in the boxes and everything fitted as it should. Today, I found the bike was definitely "overgeared". I have established that the final gearing on the bike now, is 15T/54T.

Does anyone have an idea what it should be?

Thanks in advance

Davidpost-6614-0-44818200-1382281306_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken a look at a spare villiers front sprocket from the Cheetah spares. This one is an 18 tooth - part number E9149/1. If I have to replicate this with only 13 teeth the raised centre boss at the rear of the sprocket looks like it will be too large to clear the chain.

IMG_0235_zps241a2841.jpg?t=1383942996

Does anyone have details of a 13 tooth sprocket for me?

Thanks

David

• 1 month later...

Hi, David,

One point that many people miss when looking at gearing is how many slippy, slithery surfaces are you likely to meet?

The reason that I ask, is that the larger the rear wheel sprocket (i.e. the closer the chain line to the wheel rim), the greater the tendency for traction to be broken very easily.

If you watched Sam the Man on surfaces like that, he would very often find grip that nobody else could, but he would always have a tiny primary drive sprocket and less teeth on the rear than most. It's a simple fact of physics, greater leverage on the circumference of any circular object the closer one applies the force to the rim.

That's why we select second to pull away on mud or ice, rather than first which will just spin the wheel.

Good luck