Clutch Advice

1st gear steve

I have read through quite a few topics involving my queries, but I have a couple more queries.

I have a Gori 200, 1982, I think is the same of the 1978 red / white model ?

I have used the bike sparingly over the last 3 year, it's a great bike, but is let down by the clutch action / performance.

When using the clutch adjuster via the hole in the clutch case, I cannot prevent either the clutch dragging, or slipping ( in higher gears), is this a common glitch or is it likely the plates are knackered.

I was intending on extending the arm, is there a max amount I can get away with, should the extension, be straight?

As the clutch is very heavy, what springs do you recommend and do I fasten them up tight or back them off? I have not stripped it down yet, just wanted some pointers so I know what I can check as I take it apart.

All advise appreciated

Lengthy of arm is limited by the strengthening webs in the casing, it will become obvious when you get in there. Springs are fully compressed, rates are in the piece you have read. Lever and cable are very important.

• Like 1

Ross did you say that lever on your bike was made by Apico ? Cant find it in their catalogue. Steve (curry?) rather than extending arm inside case its easier to fit a lever with a different ratio or fit any easy clutch device. Also look in another thread in here what swm fitted to the jumbo framed models.

• Like 1

Will that lever really make that much difference?

I need to remove the cover anyway as I have a leak, so will probably use the opportunity to extend it any way, am I right in thinking if I then use this leaver I will lighten it still further? Or . Will using both inhibit the clutch from engaging fully, as the cable is not been 'pulled' enough?

Its the same principle all you are doing is changing the leverage ratio at the handlebar end rather than the clutch end. If you use the cable hole giving the least travel on the cable it should be lighter.I think the later models had something different done compared to the red swms on the clutch mechanism inside the cover but martin will know better.

By the way does yours leak from where the cable enters the case ? Mine does so will need to get the mastic gun out. Is there supposed to be an o ring or seal in there ?

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 1

The lever shown by b40 does work really well. I have used them for years on many different bikes, can feel like it cuts the effort to pull in the clutch by half on some bikes. I have extended the arm on the engine on a few different bikes, but it never works as well, always go back to the easy pull levers.

• Like 2

By the way does yours leak from where the cable enters the case ? Mine does so will need to get the mastic gun out. Is there supposed to be an o ring or seal in there ?

A genuine clutch cable has built in o rings, quality silicon works.

• Like 2