High Res Pics

copemech

Copemech,

Always interests me, the different header pipe lengths. Thought the 05 was special, then noticed the same pipe on Manzanos factory bike, on the 02 Sherco factory poster, and Jarvis`s on the 03. Think the R+D is a couple of years ahead of what they give us ??? :blink:

In accordance with Caby's interview, I think they very much tune the bike to the rider and the pipe is one of their options.

Looks like the pics show the longer pipe on Graham's bike!

Nigel said his '05 bike was soo much smoother than his '04 that he found no need for the Kiehin carb!(Although I cannot help but think it would still make a difference as it is a much better mixer)

I wonder if the longer pipe and the intake spacer make all the difference?

There may not be any difference in the cyl. porting at all !

Maybe Nigel could degree out his port timing to find out for sure.

The changes in ignition timing and curve, intake and exhaust can create a different bike without doing much else, they(SHERCO) just don't tell us all the little tricks, so we need someone who has the time to find out! Where is Wayne or Charlie when you need them? :blink:

MC

you r right about the front pipes,when i bought grimbo's 04 works 290,it took me 3 months too ride it any sense,to be perfectly honest.so i spoke to him about it,he said put an 05 290 front pipe on,you'll find it wont be so fearse.so i did,bingo,its really lovley to ride now.he said for real big big stuff,he puts the 04 pipe on,and muddy sections the 05 pipe.my sherco looks no difrent to any other 290.BUT,i tell you its awsome,i really luv the bike,and im keeping it for ever.no other sherco compares to it.ask wayne holdsworth,he's had some brilliant results,riding it, he's a better rider than me. :D:blink:

I'm sure its a little of everything pipe spacer ports and ignition mapping. I am definately using 2nd more its stronger not sharper off the bottom. 04 t0 05 has een the best improvement (for me) ever. I will try the keihin soon, promise just like the predictability of the dellorto and the fact you can lay it down while walking a section and it make no difference.

So,at least a couple of bits of first hand info here I suppose.

Looks like Howard is running the keihin on an '05 I suppose and likes it even better!

And Jarvis Sherco says that the long pipe does indeed smooth the power!

I am not a very aggressive rider myself, and happen to like the torque of the 2.9 but it can be a real handfull when it hits power, so on my late '03 bike, with the new ignition, I am running the keihin, timing set midway, and aluminum(quick) throttle modified so the first 1/8 turn or so works like the black tube, yes if you need more it ramps up fast from there! A 44t rear gear slows the bike, yet gives quick response on a short run up without it trying to outrun ME!, especially in the tight rocky sections.

Anyway, enough rambling, who is going to try yhe intake spacer first?

:blink:

MC

ps - I did a quick ck on part numbers that showed the same cylinder from 01-04 the '05 pn is different?