Hfs Fork Springs

steadyeddy

Hi All

Here is my first posting after many hours of reading some very interesting threads.

I am looking for comments on upgrading fork spring to the HFS Clubman or Expert (not that I am an expect rider, but one can live in hope) system for my newly purchased Fantic 200 FM350. Is the extra £100+ over a set of standard new springs justified?

The fork upgrade will go along the Rockshocks I plan to buy for the rear.

Cheers

Mike

Depending the price I have no answer, a pair of aftermarkt fork springs is compared to the Expert system around 50% cheaper in my country.

The HFS system, (when proper installed and you found the right oil and pressure), works very well, really progressive and has less stiction. I'am very pleased.

(Using the older HFS system from 2012 where you have two cartridges, like inside the Enduro models).

I have replaced the fork caps against valve closure caps as with the others it can happen that you will loose air if you haven't fastened the lock very thight,

(at least it happend too me).

I also recommend a good air pump which works very precise, the one HFS has in their inventory is made to fit very good.

Hi , get the expert versions, I have fitted them to my 200 which has 300 forks and it transforms them. Dont forget the HFS set up still relies on the original Fantic damping which unless you like a pogo stick needs quite heavy oil to slow them down a bit. What is good about the HFS set up is that you can adjust the forks to how you like them ,whereas standard Fantic internals give little adjustment apart from spacer length changes.Buy them spend a bit of time understanding them and you should not regret it.

Hi Turbo / Pschrauber

Thanks for your replies. I will go ahead and purchase the HFS expert springs. I may come back to you though, seeking advice on setup, because this is new territory for me. Obviously I will try what you have already suggested first.

Turbo

What oil are you using?

Cheers

Mike

I use HFS Expert in 2 of my bikes; a Montesa 247 Mark2 and a 198 Bultaco and I am very happy with it. I use SAE 5 in both cases which makes the fork bit "faster". The combination oil + springs + air gives you a really big number of potential tunings.

It makes you work a bit untill you are 100% happy with it; but once you got it it is the best fork system in my opinion. The instructions are very complete and shows you very good how to tune it and how spring + oil + air works in it. If you buy the Expert system, buying the pump is a must.