Crankshaft Pinion Gear Nut Removal.

dazzagreener

Right I got my engine out stripped down as far as I can go but I have still got the gear on the end of the crankshaft to come off so I can strip it further.

I can't seem to get the nut off. The last time I done this I used the flywheel but it just sheeted the key and then used a impach wrench and that worked. But for some reason the wrench ant working this time.

So has anyone got any tips to get the nut off.

Cheers

Glad to see you got it off. I hold the pinion with stillsons using aluminium between their jaws and the pinion to avoid damaging it.

Never use heat on a pinion (or any other gearbox component) as it only takes about 250 degrees celsius to start undoing the heat treatment that gives the pinion its strength and wear resistance.

Although I normally mark these and put them back to torque with a rattlegun, It did just occur to me that one might simply use a torque wrench and a holding socket/ ratchet on the other end while bring both the gear and flywheel up to the 72 lb/ft rating at the same time upon reassembly!