M190 Gearshift / Shaft

fmc

Hi Troops,

My M190 has suddenly developed a fault with the gaershift :(

First selects fine, but going up there is now about an inch of vertical travel of the lever before it will select second/third, doesn't seem to want to select four/five, and doesn't want to return to a horizontal position and coming down the way it doesn't want to play at all till i stop the bike:(

Gearbox itself seems fine. :)

Is a selector fork snapped/broken???

Want a wee bit of insight before i get the impact driver out!!!!

Cheers,

Fred

You only need take the clutch cover off to check the selector mechanism and spring so start there, as it does sound like a broken or weakened spring. - assuming you haven't smacked the gear lever on something solid, which could present other problems

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again all,

Finally had a minute to pull off the clutch casing, and hey presto a snapped return spring.

What,s involved in taking off the shaft( will be getting myself a manual)

Have been through quite a few previous posts and a lot mention the 3 screws holding on the selector axle shaft, does this just pull out as a mechanism once the 3 screws are taken out? Do I need to take off the clutch basket to get at the screw at 2 o,clock?

One worrying thing was not a lot of oil came out the drain plug, not at where th bike is at the mo so don't know exact amount was but still have it!!

Finally what,s the best manual to get? The copied one in motion have or one of the Haynes ones which there seems to be plenty of on fleabay!! But only covers Sherpas up to 1975.

Cheers in advance,

Fred.

The shaft just pulls out, there's no need to undo anything. The spring fits to the selector plate that is part of the shaft.

The three screws hold the selector mechanism in place, you don't need to touch this to replace the spring.

The manual that covers all 5 speed models will be good enough, even if it is based upon an earlier model. There were some changes to internal components but this was to things like gearbox bearing sizes, selector fork design, crank design, number of main bearings (some had one, some had two on the clutch side) The fundamental design of all of them is the same, so the manual is good enough to serve any of the 5 speed motors.

The one obvious thing you'll notice is that on the earlier bikes the gear selector shaft is very short and locates in a blind hole in the clutch side crankcase. On the later bikes the shaft runs the full width of the engine and allows a gear lever to be fitted on either side of the engine. Whichever, the spring location is the same and the method of removing the shaft is the same - just pull it out.