16 36V Motor Problem

purkyuk

Hi guys,

Just picked up a 2010 Oset 16 36V and noticed an intermittent problem.

When the motor is running full open throttle or if the bike is slowing down there is a rubbing noise coming from the motor. It doesn't seem to happen when getting up to speed.

First I thought it was from the chain against the plastic casing but in fact its coming from the motor. The sound isn't loud, and initial instinct was a wheel bearing, but is definiately coming from the motor.

There doesn't seem to be any play in the bearings as rotation and chain tension seem fine.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or any advise before stripping the motor?

Also are these motors easy to split and anything I should be careful of?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Yeah, sounds similar, i bought a second hand 2010 16/24v, it ran ok but battery life was short, only ran for about 90 mins and the motor made a heavy wurring sound.

Unfortunately if the previous owner left the bike for long period of time or water damage has rusted the motor. I had to replace the motor, you could ask the nice guys at Oset to refurb the motor, it cld be worth saving.

Good luck

Abe

it do sound like either bearing/rust or a brush problem in the motor, to confirm that the noise is coming from the motor just disconnect the final drive chain from the wheel ( this will rule out wheel bearing/rubbing and chain ) . The motors are ok to get apart but can be diffecult to put back together due to getting the 4 brushes in place ( use some strong cotton to pull the brushes fully into there holders and hold these in place with some tape on the outside of the motor, The cotten can them be pulled out once you have the endcap of the motor in place ) . The magnets are very strong so be very careful where you put your fingers ( you dont want to get them crushed ) you dont have to take the armmature out of the magnets if you just want to replace the bearings or the brushes.

Firstly thanks for your quick replies.

It doesn't seem to making a noise when the wheel is lifted off the ground, only when there is someone on the bike.

I'll try splitting the motor and check the brushes and bearings, if it all goes wrong then I'll buy a new one.

Also when taking the motor out do I have to remove the swingarm, as it seems a bit tight to get the motor out any other way.

Thanks again,

Dave

Yes . The swingarm needs split to remove the motor . It's not difficult to do . Far easier to get the lads at Oset UK to overhaul your motor than attempt it yourself . They have the specific tooling to do the reassembly correctly and their prices are reasonable .I believe the final part of the reassembly can test the patients of a saint ! They've always been very helpful with my stuff . Also , as i suggested in a previous thread about washing the motor / bike they will make your motor more water tight .

Hi guys,

Again thks for your support and advise.

Today we split the motor, we found that the bearing nearest the sprocket had worn, the other bearing and brushes were fine. Also we noticed excessive play in the sprocket itself, so will replace this too.

As for spliting the motor... mmm... It was very tricky, as already mentioned the magnets are unbelievably powerful if you remove the armature, but as mentioned you dont need to do this to change bearings or brushes.

We found a quick way of reassembling the brushes, if you take the bearing out behind the brushes and lock all 4 brushes around the bearing, then carefully slot the armature spindle into the bearing and slowly work it in. All brushes will finally sit in the correct position, this can be checked by reopening 1-2mm and shining a torch in the motor.

Next step is to test it... Fingers crossed eh?

Thanks again

Dave