Pro Leaking Fuel Tank

moulder75

I have an 05 280 Pro which Iv been riding pretty much constantly since October. I thought that the fuel tap was leaking but I have now discovered that the fuel is leaking all around the seat area due to the padding aroud the air box and seat being soaked in petrol. The leak is not a hole etc as no fuel visibly leaks but the fuel must seem to very slowly seep out of a weld in that area.

Has anyone elso come across this problem?

I dont want to have to buy a new tank as that would be loads of cash but I cant exactly weld it up as one it's aluminium and 2, I dont have a tig welder to hand.

Cheers

Tony

There are several tank sealers that work very well.

Check an aircraft supply place. Those guys can't afford to have it peel off.

I have been using one from a company called "Randolph" for many years with great results.

Whatever you get, be sure it is alcohol resistant.

The fuel tank leak is not exclusive to the 280.We've had two 250's which have both leaked fuel from the poor welding around the bottom end of the tank.Luckily both repaired sucessfully (and cheaply) by a local welding company. It's worth asking around before you think about buying a new tank.

• 5 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents or phenning or whatever. Pence I guess....

Anyway, as a guy who welds things upon occasion, it seems that there is a problem there, why buy a new one that was likely welded by the same guy and would have the same problem.

If you use some form of epoxy, Ardalite, etc. etc. it can wreak havoc on the poor guy trying to weld it and fix it right later. Sometimes it is tough to get that cleaned out so it does not contaminate the weld.