Suspension

shipdamite

Hello,

my ty 175 is slowly getting there.

the rear shocks are betor's and look fairly new. with the amount I have had to spend on the motor, I am keen to use the existing shocks.

trouble is, despite softening off thge spring setting, they are very firm - can you let some of the gas out of the valve to soften them up?

front forks are standard with new chrome inserts and seals (previous owner did this) they are firm too and only go half way down if you load it ............. to soften, do i just use less oil / different oil?

thanks

Andrew

p.s pjme did a top job on my engine bits (cylinder reline and crank work)

Not sure about letting gas out of the rear shocks, but you can play around with different weights/quantities of fork oil to get the front more to your liking. As you said less oil/lighter oil would make things softer. It sounds like there is too much oil or prehaps someone has put longer or harder springs in if the travel is lacking.

Edited by boghopper350

Rear Shocks - Betors are inconsistent in their performance, you buy one set they're too soft, buy another, too hard, buy another, they may work ok. It's a lottery. The gas helps add a bit of pre-load to the springing and doesn't affect damping so if it is the damping that is too stiff, letting gas out won't have any affect, unless a previous owner has messed with them and gassed them themselves. Should be about 90psi. Leave it in. Don't check the pressure unless you have a proper screw on guague. A normal push on type will expel all the gas before you can do anything about it.

I'm never sure with Betors whether they are supposed to work either way up. Check with Millers, as they are the agents and if not make sure you have them fitted the right way up. Once you know the answer to that, take the spring off and push the damper rod fully home, slowly. If the shocks are designed to work upside down, put the top mount on the bench and just push down on the body. If they work conventional way up put the bottom mount on the bench and push the rod down. Either way, you should be able to push it home easily by hand. If not, the damping is probably too stiff.

If you can, then check the spring rate as there are two or three different spring rates for the Betors. You may have too hard a spring.

Front forks - sounds like too much oil which will stop the fork travelling through it's full distance. Drain them and refill with the correct amount. Also check nothing is twisted and that wheel spacers are correct as if the forks ar being pulled in or pushed apart at the bottom through incorrect spacers, that will also affect their travel. 10W oil is usually a reasonable weight to go with for older forks.

Edited by woody