Sherco 2T Torque Values

tee dub

New to trials from the Enduro and Rally worlds. I took the plunge and dove straight into the deep end by buying a 2014 Sherco 3.0 2T. Figured that it was the best way to go when I saw what people wanted for 2 and 3 year old used Trials bikes. As you can imagine, coming off KTMs and Husabergs where every possible torque value is published and most all maintenance procedures are well documented, I'm experiencing a bit of frustration regarding the lack of published bike service and setup information. Was raising the forks in the triple clamps just yesterday and realized I didn't even know the proper torque value for the triple clamp pinch bolts, nor was there any information in the manual regarding the max amount that the forks could be raised within the clamp.

At this point I'd like to put an "all call" out to all you smart Sherco types for the factory torque specs for a recent year Sherco. Does such a torque spec sheet exist? Any information or links to requested information would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Follow linkey to "Service Info" tab, you will find a lot of good reading.

And if you know much about bikes, the basics of how to tighten a 5,6,8,10mm bolt are the same, nothing special here.

HOWEVER! If you are going to take the time to properly prep the bike, I suggest you also take the time to apply anti-sieze or some type anti corrosion treatment to every bolt you toutch as it will pay in the long run.

Pack the steering head bearings and grease the axle shafts

Edited by copemech

Lineaway, Been to the ShercoUSA website and must say that it's pretty much useless imho. Guess there's not much Sherco news in the good ol US of A, if the last news update was back in the middle of 2013. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place under "Service Info", but I never saw any torque values.

Copemech, As for anti-sieze, I always use it. That's why I'm looking for proper torque values...so I can calculate the reduction factor and torque properly. Could you educate me as to the basic torque values for 6, 8 10 mm bolts. I've seen multiple torque values for the same size bolt depending on where it is used on a bike. Thanks in advance for the info.

Lineaway, Been to the ShercoUSA website and must say that it's pretty much useless imho. Guess there's not much Sherco news in the good ol US of A, if the last news update was back in the middle of 2013. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place under "Service Info", but I never saw any torque values.

Copemech, As for anti-sieze, I always use it. That's why I'm looking for proper torque values...so I can calculate the reduction factor and torque properly. Could you educate me as to the basic torque values for 6, 8 10 mm bolts. I've seen multiple torque values for the same size bolt depending on where it is used on a bike. Thanks in advance for the info.

There are lots of published specs in there if you keep digging, gotta look in the parts books as well.

You can get into a very grey area, do a google search on standard metric torque values in aluminum. Then add in you variable of lubricated threads which may allow a deduction of between 10 and 20% normally and you will find your answer.

For the most part, your small critical 5,6 and 8 stuff will be rated at 60,96 and 192 lb/in accordingly, adjust from there. Larger stuff in the 10-12mm range is more tolerant and applies less to this application.

Some of it you are not going to get a torque wrench on anyway, so it matters not, common sense must prevail. If you think I put a calibrated wrench on every nut and bolt I turn for a living, you are incorrect, feel is as important as anything, and something that must be developed with time and experience. An example might be your suspension linkage.You just gotta get a wrench in there and tighten stuff by hand. Tight is tight and less is less. Use good judgment.

Remember things like the fork tubes clamps are a "pinch " bolt. You can drop(raise) the tubes about 10mm in the clamps, I think there are still lines scribed in the tubes, however I do not drop mine. Point being, a "pinch "bolt just needs to be snugged tight by hand, as there is no hard stop and you do not want to collapse the pinch built in the clamps exceeding their design. Folding hand allen set used here with little leverage.

Edited by copemech