Sherco 2011 Rear Shock

dixon

" not mechanically minded rider :( "

My rear shock still has bounce in it, but when I bounce the shock I can push so it knocks asif it's bottoming out, I've Tightend the spring up but it still does it! Spring knackered? Shocker knackered?

Shocker should have a bit of cush coming back up, similar to forks, if it feels like a pogo stick it is knackarde, or if too harsh same. Send it in to Splatshop for rework if it is done. Ck your linkage and lube and tighten things here as well. may be simple.

• Like 1

Still feels ok, not like a pogo or to hard, but can easily bounce it down to make it knock! ( presumed to be bottoming out) the linkage bearings are about ready to be replaced could these be causing this knock at the bottom? It seems expensive to send it for a re-con if not needed ! Many thanks

The rubber stopper is intact, I've just replaced all linkage bearings, can still compress shocker to make metal-metal knocking noise, spring seems fine and is compressed to 130mm , if the gas has gone could it be letting the rod hit the top of the shocker body? Or can I tell anyway if the shocker is knackered?

Is the noise happening when the shock compresses or returns to normal position, if it's when it returns to normal position then damping is too light & needs adjusting or a service, if it's when compressed it may be something completely unrelated like the stand

Edited by tony27

I suppose one could remove the shock, then the spring. It normally requires 60-70 lbs of force to compress the shaft against the internal gas charge of the unit. Inspect for bent shaft by rotating and feel for smooth operation and return damping and no squishy sound as in low oil.

I am not aware of any cushion other than the jounce damper.

Edited by copemech

Problem solved, took the shocker off the bike, removed the spring to find No rebound / compression, Aparently the chrome chips/flakes off the rod especially under the rubber stopper, causing damage to the seals and a slow leak, causing damage to the piston, re-build required :(