Ariel Trials Models

laird387

Hi,

It is February 1954 and Ray Biddle spots Dick Smith on his rigid Ariel HT 350 in the Colmore Cup.

As machines improved the section was deemed too easy and was no longer used - but when with Dennis Bridges we created the Sam Cooper Union Jack trial for the British Bike championship, that was one of the sections we were able to bring back into use.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-97846200-1392640803_thumb.jpg

Hi,

That most famous of trials registration numbers, GOV 132, on which Sammy Miller made his name in later format, was also previously ridden by Don Evans as a works bike. Here it is seen in the hands of Jack Stocker in the 1948 Travers Trophy.

It does perhaps beg the question of what happened to the ‘actual’ first GOV 132 - and I suspect that the reality of many of the 'works' machines years ago, they existed only as registration documents and number plates. A good example could be HNP 331 - applied to quite a few of Johnny Brittain's different models.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-24213200-1393314857_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Ray Biddle photographed Don Evans in the 1951 Victory trial on his works Ariel 350, but couldn't remember the name of this section.

Don Evans was an interesting character. Chatting to Bob Light for ORR, Don said: "Cuth Bate of the Salop Club asked me to look at a piece of land at Hawkstone Park that he thought might make a decent scramble course. I laid out a route that I knew I would enjoy, which no doubt helped me clean up at the first couple of meetings!”

Bob checked his results sheets, at that first Hawkstone on 5th March 1950, Don won the three main races. Second in the 150cc race was a certain J V Smith (125 BSA), and B W Martin (350 BSA) also got a placing.

Don continued: “At the National Hawkstone the following year I got second to Geoff Ward in the 500cc race. Of average build, I just couldn’t match the way burly Geoff could hang on to the works AJS as he literally threw it up and down the Hawkstone hills. Most of the lads were about fifteen years younger than me of course - they used to call me Grandad!”

There you are, TC members - another bit of the history of our sport,

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-40274200-1393315937_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

At Hillend in the Victory Trial. It looks like 1951 when Don rode the works 500 Ariel, finishing fifth overall and best Ariel rider in the Birmingham Club’s classic.

Not a lot of light for photographer, Ray Biddle, and struggling to get action shots meant using 'fast' films - which inevitably gave very grainy images.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-17890700-1393316794_thumb.jpg

Hi
Back in the 1980's (probably 83, 84, or 85) I was spectating at a trial somewhere in the East Midlands,
can't remember where now, and got chatting to a rather portly chap who said he had ridden 'works this, works that etc, etc,'.
I only half believed him at the time but I'm almost sure he said his name was Don Evans. Silly me.
Regards
Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Hi Sparks,

I know you're a glutton for information, so here's some for you.

DON EVANS was a grass track star on the close fought Midland circuits in the post-war racing boom; he was a works trials rider and won six Nationals; as a front-line works scrambler he made the elite Moto-Cross Des Nations squad; in six ISDTs he won four gold medals. It’s an impressive record. Because of the war years, this all happened in nigh-on ten busy seasons after his thirtieth birthday!

Don was born at Wednesflield in January 1915, and for seventy years home was between Wolverhampton and Bloxwich on the fringe of the village of New Invention. Don and Renee were married on Boxing Day 1939, so in 1999 celebrated their diamond wedding.

The family ran a smallholding, and young Don kept his own chickens and travelled locally from door to door selling the eggs. He moved up to a flat-tank Sunbeam with sidecar, useful when he later formed a dance band – Don and the Rhythm Boys – to play at local dances and functions. Don remembered: “This was long before the days of discos and when couples danced with each other, rather than yards apart! I ran the band from 1934 to 1937, leading on saxophone and swopping to violin for the sentimental numbers.”

During the war Don was kept very busy producing potatoes to feed the nation, and at one time kept three hundred pigs.

Hope this helps, Deryk

Edited by laird387

Hi Sparks,

I know you're a glutton for information, so here's some for you.

DON EVANS was a grass track star on the close fought Midland circuits in the post-war racing boom; he was a works trials rider and won six Nationals; as a front-line works scrambler he made the elite Moto-Cross Des Nations squad; in six ISDTs he won four gold medals. It’s an impressive record. Because of the war years, this all happened in nigh-on ten busy seasons after his thirtieth birthday!

Don was born at Wednesflield in January 1915, and for seventy years home was between Wolverhampton and Bloxwich on the fringe of the village of New Invention. Don and Renee were married on Boxing Day 1939, so in 1999 celebrated their diamond wedding.

The family ran a smallholding, and young Don kept his own chickens and travelled locally from door to door selling the eggs. He moved up to a flat-tank Sunbeam with sidecar, useful when he later formed a dance band – Don and the Rhythm Boys – to play at local dances and functions. Don remembered: “This was long before the days of discos and when couples danced with each other, rather than yards apart! I ran the band from 1934 to 1937, leading on saxophone and swopping to violin for the sentimental numbers.”

During the war Don was kept very busy producing potatoes to feed the nation, and at one time kept three hundred pigs.

Hope this helps, Deryk

Thanks Deryk

Information, yes, but only useless information.

Indeed, at the time I had heard of (or seen the name) Don Evans, but obviously did not know the extent of his illustrious riding

career, cos I'm only a lad.

I shall consider myself severely admonished, and hope that Don and everyone excepts my apology.

Yours (none too seriously)

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Hi,

ORR readers saw this action during the 1962 Lyndhurst Club’s Committee Cup trial when Ivor Gunner and his Ariel had a difference of opinion with the countryside, watched by two fellow competitors, one of whom is Ray Russell.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-77874200-1393494785_thumb.jpg

Hi,

John Craven, one of the founder members of the Yorks Classic club in action on his rigid Ariel 500 in 1992.

I still have a small quantity of the Ariel tank transfers, they are the correct waterslide transfers, used by the works until the very last knockings before the receivers were called in. The very last few trials models were fitted with the yellow transfers from the Golden Arrow models just to get them out of the door - so I have been told!

The waterslide transfers are a fiver a pair, including postage in the UK - send me a PM for an overseas price if needed.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-23544300-1393597525_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Ian Williamson with the 347 Ariel HT3 he bought as his second trials bike. Note that the 350s were fitted with the single sided front hub with the 7 inch brakes – which many felt was a better trials brake than the full width alloy units on the HT5 3.

Seen here in the 1959 Manx Two-day trial.

post-19290-0-99520600-1393684218_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Mick Ash with one of his first Ariels, sadly I cannot be certain of the year but I think it was 1989, the trial was the first trial set out by North Lancs MC for my British Bike championship series.

Nonetheless, enjoy.

post-19290-0-04808200-1393694034_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Another shot of Mick Ash with his Ariel - but where and when - any ideas, Mick - this is one of a huge bundle of negatives separated from their correct 'results' paperwork by a careless removal man, so a helpful guess would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

post-19290-0-47449900-1393762367_thumb.jpg