Tl125- Beginner Bike

motoradler

Hi,

I have a TL and have owned it for about 35 years, it is a capable bike and I wouldnt want to part with it. I also have a 95 GAS GAS and a TLR200. Its the Gas gas which I ride regularly, mainly because its easier and more fun, brakes are brilliant (as apposed to drums).

It really depends on what type of trials you see yourself riding,

I would take a look at the mont, probably a better buy to be honest!!

TLTEL

I think the Montesa you mention is a 315R. If so, it is a far better trials bike than the old Honda. That model was virtually the same until they came out with the 4RT. Many riders still use it in modern competitions and do very well. Assuming it is in reasonable condition and within your budget, it will be much easier to use in trials. Better brakes, better suspension, lower center of gravity.

As you said, you need to see and go ride it first.

I think the Montesa you mention is a 315R. If so, it is a far better trials bike than the old Honda. That model was virtually the same until they came out with the 4RT. Many riders still use it in modern competitions and do very well. Assuming it is in reasonable condition and within your budget, it will be much easier to use in trials. Better brakes, better suspension, lower center of gravity.

As you said, you need to see and go ride it first.

Its the 1996 Montesa Cota 311, is there anything bad about it being two models behind the 315? I understand parts aren't as widely available for the older Montesa-only designed ones, is that true? Its in mint condition my the looks of it, and the seller says it has had very little use; and just had new fork seals, so I'm hoping thats a sign it has been looked after.

The seller for the TL was after around a $1000, but I didn't personally think it was worth that, more around the $700-$800mark - with that in mind, would the Montesa be worth the $1500 I've put as my limit on it?

"The footpeg has a spring the guy put on to keep it out of the way of the kickstart lever."

This is stock for the 1970's TL125. The spring is attached to the swing arm.

Sorry should have specified, its not the original spring, though I doubt that matters if it works. :)

Yep you will be hard pressed to start a TL125 without the footpeg pulled out of the way with the spring.

Thanks all,

EM

EDIT:

I have never owned a liquid-cooled bike before either, is there anything in specific I should check on it in that regard?

Here's a photo of the bike;

302293226.jpg

Edited by motoradler

The 311 cota was made in 1992-1993 and was known as the last of the REAL montesas. It was called that because it was the last montesa with a Spanish engine. 1994-1996 was the 314 with the first Japanese engine in a monty. 1997-2004 was the 315. A friend has a 311 and likes it, gets parts from suppliers in England no problem.

I don't know much about the Montesa 311. It is a modern style, mono-shock, water cooled, disc brakes, etc so will be much more capable than a 70's Honda.

Regarding being water cooled, the main issue is water leaking past the water pump seal into the gearbox. Check the transmission fluid. If it looks like a milkshake, there is water leakage.

I am often surprised what bikes sell for outside the USA. Usually considerably higher price than here. Here that would be an $800 bike. I don't know about prices in NZ.

The 311 cota was made in 1992-1993 and was known as the last of the REAL montesas. It was called that because it was the last montesa with a Spanish engine. 1994-1996 was the 314 with the first Japanese engine in a monty. 1997-2004 was the 315. A friend has a 311 and likes it, gets parts from suppliers in England no problem.

Did they still make older models for a short while after a new model came out? I'm not sure how to find out the year, but it was advertised as a 1996. Saying that though, the later models would have had a HRC engine yeah? This ones got Montesa on the side.

I don't know much about the Montesa 311. It is a modern style, mono-shock, water cooled, disc brakes, etc so will be much more capable than a 70's Honda.

Regarding being water cooled, the main issue is water leaking past the water pump seal into the gearbox. Check the transmission fluid. If it looks like a milkshake, there is water leakage.

I am often surprised what bikes sell for outside the USA. Usually considerably higher price than here. Here that would be an $800 bike. I don't know about prices in NZ.

Alright, I purchased it! Whooo! First trials bike. XD I brought it home last night and spent about an hour just trying to get a feel for it, and its certainly a very different bike to my 4 stroke Honda. :D

I was concerned it was being sold because there was something wrong with it, but I highly doubt that now; when I went to get it, it hadn't been started at all that day, and went with the first kick (a lot of compression in a 250cc to kick it over, not like my 125). The seller said the only reason he was selling it was because it doesn't get enough use since he bought a KTM.

Anyhow, spent some time last night with it going over just wooden pellets and posts, seems to be able to handle anything I point it at effortlessly, even with my beginner-skillset on top. :D Hoping to have a lot of fun in the weeks to come. :D

Anyway, thank you all for your advice and help.

EM

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
axulsuv, on 24 Mar 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

TL 125 as a first trials bike ... Just ran across some photo's of me back in the '70's on my tl125 . I wish I still had the little Thumper !

attachicon.gifIMG.jpg

I think I'm 13 in these shots ...

Nice photos; wish I was that good at that age! :P Still liked the bike when I saw it, but as I never rode it, still curious how it would ride... I almost grabbed a late 80's Honda trial bike, but thought better of it. :D