Tlr200 Drive Line Free Play

mcman56

I have a Reflex version of the TLR200 and am feeling some drive line free play. I notice it when rolling off and then on the throttle. There is a point in the middle when the engine does not feel connected to the ground for some short time period. It makes precise control difficult when it gets reconnected. It is really noticeable when riding it after coming off a modern bike. I don't think it was always like that but am not 100% sure. I have replaced the bushes for the rear sprocket and the chain tensioner is adjusted per the manual. Is this normal? Is there any kind of cushion drive in the clutch that could be loose?

There is no "cushion drive" on the TLR Reflex. There are several places in the drive system that could have backlash. The only ones that are really adjustable are the chain tension and the throttle cable free play. The others are generally wear related: slack in all the chain links and pins, wear in the gears, wear in the sprocket to engine shaft. Not adjustable, only solution is replacement of parts.

All bikes have play in the drive. They differ only in degree. In trials riding you will ride a lot better by gently using the rear brake against the throttle to provide the fine control you seek.

If you are concerned from a mechanical damage viewpoint, I would check the gearbox output shaft spline fit, the swingarm pivot, rear wheel bearings, rear sprocket bolts, clutch inner nut and the primary drive gear nut. Many bikes have a cush drive in the clutch between the drive gear and the basket but the previous respondent says that the Reflex does not. The best way to find where the slop is, is with the bike on a stand and in gear with the motor stopped, rotating the rear wheel back and forwards.

When I was a kid and had not been trained in how to ride trials, I went through my TY175 from end to end fixing things to reduce the slop in the drive, even going so far as to fit custom-made cush rubber segments in the clutch instead of the Yamaha items, to reduce the slop. It made absolutely no difference to the way it felt in sections. The first time someone showed me about using the rear brake to avoid the slop, it was a revelation.

I had a similar feeling in my TLR. I found that my swingarm bushing and the swingarm collar were very worn on the drive side. The swingarm collar is a steel sleeve that the swingarm pivot bolt goes thru, then the collar rides in the swingarm bushing. I had noticeable lateral play in my swingarm once I put the bike up on a stand, it was not noticeable with the wheel on the ground.

The bushings are still available thru Honda, they are plastic. unfortunately the collar is no longer available. I turned the minimal amount off my collar to clean it up and made custom bushings from a much better bearing plastic.

I believe AllBalls Bearings makes a needle bearing kit for the TLR.

This is all great input and things to think about. Dragging the rear brake is easier on modern bikes so that must be a part of it or maybe a way to work around it.

Looking for play, the front sprocket seems fairly loose/ wobbely on the splined shaft. A newish, low mile sprocket feels kind of the same so maybe that is normal. My Rev3 has a much tighter fit in that area. Is there any way to tighten this up?

The chain tensioner spring also seems pretty weak. Would a new one help or is it even available? Is it possible to take out a coil or two out?