Honda Tlr Ignition

grahamb1961

Hi first post I have acquired my self a Honda tlr 125 but have up graded it with 185 xl crank atv barrel and piston and head

used the 125 ignition and cam. problem is it seams too advanced kicks back alot which results in kick start idle gear breaks.

would a tlr 200 cdi unit retard it as I can only see to ajust it would need putting sender on cylinder head like 185 xl .

Any body else out there tried this would be interested in there feed back.

Hi Grahamb 1961

Not really sure what you have got as i'm not familiar with TLR 125 engine. But I do know there is a difference in timing on xl and TL 125 models. I assume you have cdi ignition, where is your pulse sender now, head or flywheel?

camshaft can be drilled to alter timing if pickup is in head.

TLTEl

MMMmmm, thought the ATV's (ATC200) had the ignition trigger and bob weight advance in the head....maybe that was just the early ones. Either way, if you want an adjustable fireing point you will need the xl/xr type head....or a CDI that suits your crank fired ignition....but I have no idea what would suit you set up.

You can run the XL cam and pickup however you will have to make it fixed so it cannot advance, the TLR has the advance curve built into the CDI unit. The XL CDI's have a mechanical advance off of the camshaft, if you combine the two it will advance to the point of detonation. You could of course use an XL cdi box with the XL camshaft and advance assy and wire it in.