280I Ballpark Suspension Settings?

scrambler

I recently bought a 2013 Ossa 280i. It's better than I ever hoped it could be. Lovely to ride, and lovely to look at. I'm not even having any trouble starting it!

I'm a relative novice to trials, and my previous bike had no clickers to adjust the damping front or back. So now I have this wonderful top end suspension, but not a clue how to set it up. And as you probably know, adjusting the Ohlins shock is a little more involved than just reaching down and twisting a clicker. So some guidance on some initial settings would be much appreciated. If it helps, I weigh about 68kg.

The thing is, and this is my only criticism of the bike, the rear shock adjusters are impossible to get at without partially dismantling the bike. So ideally I would like to set the damping somewhere close to optimum using other peoples experience, (this is starting to make me sound lazy) and then just get out there and ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any tricks to stop the thread moving round when trying to compress the spring??

Yes. I wrapped some old rubber transmission v belt around the threads and clamped it in a vice.

Why did they make the shock like that?

I set the sag at 1/3 of the suspension travel. I took a guess that the travel is 175 mm as I couldn't find the spec for that anywhere.

• 4 years later...

Anyone ever find an easy way to adjust shock rebound? I can get to the comp adjustment ok but rebound has proved a non starter from the side. 

Do I need a long bubble end Allen key and do it from above with the spark plug removed? 

All sorted. It did need a long ball end for rebound adjustment and a cut down one for compression. No longer quite so crashy. 

Edited by pindie