Forks Damper Rod

martyd

Marzocchi forks vary a lot from bike to bike and even Fantic to Fantic, especially the 305 Fantic which had compression on one leg and rebound on the other. Yours could be 305 from your comment about two different set ups.

Best option is to photograph them and post on here. Someone may recognise which model they are from.

They look like the 305 forks, although a set of 303 forks I had were the same as those, but I had know way of knowing if they were the originals or not. I don;t think the 303 had the reverse damping forks, but I guess some of the last models could have had them. I phoned Bill Pye to ask him about this set up but after describing the internals, particularly the long tapered rod, he said he'd never come across anything like it - from my description that is...

Looking logically, the conventional looking rod would do compression and the tapered one rebound

Try and get a parts diagram for a 305 as I'm sure that's what they're from. From what I can see they look to be assembled correctly

Hi, I have a set of 305 Fantic forks on a twinshock Honda and a set of 303 Fantic forks on another twinshock Honda. The 303 forks have identical parts in each side or said another way, both sides have compression damping and rebound damping. The 305 forks have rebound damping on one side and compression damping on the other. When the 305 forks are disassembled they look very different inside, right side to left. The left side uses a 1/2 length spring (rebound side if my memory is correct), compared to the full length spring on the right side (compression side if my memory is right).