3 Or A 5

dadof2

I totally disagree on both points. Non-stop rules have been successfully applied for many many years and what we are seeing today is modern riders having to 'adapt' to these rules and change their style of riding. If they are aware that a stop is a 5 then it will drive them to ensure they don't stop. Simples ! Observing just needs to be consistent, Thats all anyone here seems to want !

Exactly my comments earlier, its the implementation of the rules that is the problem. Don't blame the observers !

Yes they have, the SSDT way and without the help on someone with a broomstick up the rear!

Captured event like WTC with few riders anyway, go for it! Five them all if you can! Rest of us could give a flip about what they do!

atomant, there is no longer any point saying that the observing needs to be 'better'. The observing can't possibly get better under the current rules. Saying that Toni Bou was waiting 20 seconds before a huge rock step is part of the problem we have. It's simply not accurate, and he can almost ride indoor non-stop.

The WTC and Thierry Michaud are putting an enormous effort into observing at the highest level, but the rubbish is still happening. Five is clearly too harsh for a feet up stop, and only possibly makes sense if you are only driven by a philosophical bent, rather than a practical one. There is no other sport on the planet where random people are trying to force competitors to compete with a certain 'style', and what is happening in trials is ludicrous. There is no way that the riding on display in the video's of the first Britsh Chamionship this year is good to watch. The riders look like unskilled idiots, (which they are not).

I know observers, riders, and spectators from the Australian World round this year, and the event was damaging for all concerned because of inconsistent observation. That is in spite of everyone's best efforts and under the strict control of the worlds best 'experts'. If this was a business, and a CEO kept doing something so flawed, he would be sacked.

I keep wondering why old folk who can't ride very are so determined to force non-stop on the good riders of the world. No one was forcing old timers to 'stop' while riding in their lower grades, and I don't get why old timers are so intent on forcing good riders to ride 'their way' because it is pure and noble and oh so British. I regard the change to the current non-stop rules as the most selfish and narrow minded decisions that I have ever seen in any sport.

Ian , I am pretty much with you on all this. Wish I had the had the time and composure to put down what you have here.

It is late and I will try not to ramble on, yet I have often wondered just who the math genius was that did away with the number 4?

All I can tell you is making things more difficult to ride, more difficult to score does nothing for new riders or punters, or observers.

We had it here in the US before, and seems there is great resistance at this point so it has not yet been re-introduced to the National series, so time shall tell.

The WTC and Thierry Michaud are putting an enormous effort into observing at the highest level, but the rubbish is still happening. Five is clearly too harsh for a feet up stop, and only possibly makes sense if you are only driven by a philosophical bent, rather than a practical one. There is no other sport on the planet where random people are trying to force competitors to compete with a certain 'style', and what is happening in trials is ludicrous. There is no way that the riding on display in the video's of the first Britsh Chamionship this year is good to watch. The riders look like unskilled idiots, (which they are not).

what "great effort" is thierry and wtc (I assume you mean fim) putting in?????????????

I meant that they are working hard with videos, observer training, meetings with riders/obesrvers before the event to get the observing consistent, BUT THEY ARE FAILING. The current situation is not fixable without a rule change, and no amount of talking to observers will fix it.

I think there is a flaw in the last post, on many sections once you end up footing you have far less chance of not stopping. If you are feet up and in full control you are better positioned to correctly ride the next tricky bit of the section. I am not saying that is always the case but it is in the majority.

Pretty well the only times I dab to avoid a five is when its pre planned or in the Scott where well placed dabs keep you going and save time and energy.

I reckon a lot of the onus for successful no stop trials is on the clerk of the course, Laying out too tight sections then expecting them to be ridden to no stop rules puts too much pressure on observers.

Edited by dadof2