Someone, Somewhere

jonboy883

Help required please.....

I have been offered a complete, but non running TY80 for my son to use.

It's not great condition, but once running would be serviceable, and is complete.

It was last running a year ago, when the current owner put new piston/ rings in, with new gaskets.

He didn't get round to fitting the new throttle cable, condenser or points, but has them to go with the bike. It has good, for an 80, compression, so I am happy that this has been done.

My question is, what is it worth, he has asked for a sensible offer/donation.

Someone, Somewhere will have the answer.....any useful suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Help required please.....

I have been offered a complete, but non running TY80 for my son to use.

It's not great condition, but once running would be serviceable, and is complete.

It was last running a year ago, when the current owner put new piston/ rings in, with new gaskets.

He didn't get round to fitting the new throttle cable, condenser or points, but has them to go with the bike. It has good, for an 80, compression, so I am happy that this has been done.

My question is, what is it worth, he has asked for a sensible offer/donation.

Someone, Somewhere will have the answer.....any useful suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking at it from a detached position what you are buying is a non running bike

It's a very different story if you can drive before you buy it

Dead bike is worth half to 1/3rd of running bike simply because you have questions and no answers

It's worth it's scrap value and my guess would be $200 - $300 bucks and I might be shooting high there

• Like 1

I once did a deal with the seller of a non running BSA C15T

We agreed the price that I would pay if I got it running, which was still much less than the price for a running bike. If I could not get it running then I would not be expected buy it.

I did not buy it because after spending a couple of hours diagnosing the fault I worked out that the total I would be paying to buy and fix the bike was more than the bike was worth to me.

I returned the bike to its owner - he had the benefit of knowing the problem and the likely cost to fix.

• Like 1

due to a cookie glitch my original post seems to have disappeared

I once negotiated a possible deal on a non running BSA C15T

We agreed the price I would pay if I got it running, this price was well below price for running bike. After a couple of hours work I found the fault and decided it would be too expensive to fix.

The seller got his bike back with the unknown fault diagnosed - energy transfer ignition failed