2014 Cota Hour Meter Install

mags

Just fitted an hour meter to my 2014. I'm really guessing the hours I do so I thought why not be accurate and not over or under service the bike.

I fitted the meter on top of the throttle body for a relatively cool spot. Just zip clipped to the rubber hose nearby so no sticking it to throttle body.

That gives easy remove for injector comes out with tank for valve clearance check.

The red wire I just inserted up the HT lead sheath and the black goes to an earth. I placed the black wire terminal under the top coil bolt and the hour meter works perfectly.

All totally removable in a few minutes.

Here is a couple of pics for those wanting to fit one in a hidden spot.

Mags

post-20008-0-14707300-1401689976_thumb.jpgpost-20008-0-66694900-1401690007_thumb.jpg

Edited by mags
  • Like 1

Hey mags, what is the brand, and where did you get it??? of the hour meter. I recently got one for my new Monty and it is wired differently and to be honest the RPM readout on mine is very suspect. Where you have put it looks like a good place to locate it, out of the way and well protected.

The meter I purchased is only an hour meter, no tacho. For setting and checking idle I use a "TinyTach" from the USA. Although… I did order a combo tach/hour meter from the same site the hour meter came from.

I will just use the tacho to check the accuracy of the "TinyTach" as I have had it for 6-7 years.

Here is the site for the hour meter … $44.99 on special and the tach/hour I got was the $14.99 one on the far right of the hour meter.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/shop/moto/hour-meters

I tried several places for location but it seemed the best as they say not to go above 50 deg C on hour meter (like most electronics) so the ECU area of the throttle body should be a coolish place.

I'm running 1750-1770 idle rpm and its starts on 3rd kick from cold and one when warm. I also installed a slower throttle ring which I'll test this weekend…. went from black to white throttle tube.

Mags

Yeah... I wasn't sure of the way they go but tell me... the white throttle tube is less throttle applied for the same degrees rotated???? The white one said Quick throttle on the bag????

Black came with the bike and it feels like you give the throttle a little and you get too much??? The white one pulls less at the butterfly for the same rotation???

Its like the black goes full at 1/4 turn and the white at full at 1/2 turn?????

It might not be about rotation but rate per degree rotation????

Helppppppp!!! I wanted finer control so white is the one?????

Mags

Yeah... I wasn't sure of the way they go but tell me... the white throttle tube is less throttle applied for the same degrees rotated???? The white one said Quick throttle on the bag????

Black came with the bike and it feels like you give the throttle a little and you get too much??? The white one pulls less at the butterfly for the same rotation???

Its like the black goes full at 1/4 turn and the white at full at 1/2 turn?????

It might not be about rotation but rate per degree rotation????

Helppppppp!!! I wanted finer control so white is the one?????

Mags

You have that backwards. The black tube is the slow one and the white is the fast turn.

1/2 turn for full throttle with black, 1/4 or 1/3 turn to full throttle with white.

Finer control is up to you and your wrist.

Ok! Thanks. That explains the why the dealer supplied white throttle had "quick" written on it. I am now used to the white throttle and probably won't change it back at this stage.

The human brain is amazing... I'm getting much finer throttle control now, even with white. I just did three days riding... for 10 ish motor hours.

Mags