Beta Techno Shock

sammyd173

Hello, I have a '97 Techno.

I have the manual for the '99 which advises a spring length of 112 - 117mm for setting the preload.

The preload rings are in the middle of the range and the spring length sits at 165 mm!

Did the shock change from '97 to '99? It looks to be the same as in the manual. Help appreciated.

Sam

I have a 250cc 96 Techno shock and a 125cc 97 shock and where the thread starts on the 97 shock it is higher up , so I had to compress the spring to get it on, also the springs were different strengths.

I am sure someone else will chime in about static sag, measuring shock travel with boots helmet on etc, which is how i set my shocks up.

Cheers.

Thanks for confirming that there is indeed a difference.

Rode a modern Gas Gas yesterday and I was able to hop the bike around no problem while the Beta is much harder. I was thinking too much rebound damping. I would like to get a more lively feel out of the suspension. The fork preload is all the way in and I was wondering if I should crank up the shock but not if it is already at it's limit. I weigh 180. I'm going to try servicing the forks myself but need help with the shock. Wondering if i should go with stiffer springs Don't want to put too much money I to the bike as I bought it for $1500 and have spent too much on it already and I should have probably just have bought a more modern bike, although she is a nice stable ride. If I can get the suspension right I'll keep her indefinitely.

The Techno at around 80KG is about 15KG or 33lb heavier than most new bikes, it sometimes helps with grip over the rear wheel, I also noticed on a mates new Gas Gas it felt much lighter over the rear wheel when picking it up.

You also may find that due to the design and age of the shock it wont hop as easy as a modern bike.

I found that when I compressed the rear spring to the max to make it hop that it didn't absorb the bumps as well e.g rocky river bed, so I set mine to have about 1 1/2 " to 2" of travel measured from the rear wheel to mudguard, when I got on in riding gear.

I forgot to mention the 250cc 96 Techno shock and a 125cc 97 shock were identical in every other way overall length make etc.

The Techno is a good strong reliable bike with plenty of 2nd hand spares on fleebay etc, and shares some parts with the EVo & Rev 3.

Enjoy.