290 Main Bearings

arun1664

Arun 1664,

The proper tool is a copy of a clutch plate, it locks the inner ond outer basket together, while undoing the centre nut. A rattle gun will also undo it. Don`t go jamming screwdrivers and bars into the thing, or you`ll end up snapping bits off.

Your also going to need a flywheel puller, a flywheel locking tool, and have a tension wrench for re-assembly. Have a good read ,and understand the manual before you go any further, as once you get into the gearbox, things are a bit more complicated.

HW thanks for the advise, a quick copy of the (patent ignored) Charlie C flywheel holder sorted the drive pinion removal & I am happy (?) to report the arrival of two very slogged main bearings (rusty, suspect its that old pressure washer thing again) but all the other parts (bar a tired small end) seem fine.

Hi Wayne, the boreto piston gap takes a 0.04mm feeler gauge (shim) fairly snugly so its probably up around 0.002". To be honest the piston is starting to show its age but I have decided to use it (with new rings) and see how things go.

I can take the barrel off during the winter and worry about it then if there is a real problem

Have to say I was pleasently surprised at the price of sherco parts, hope to receive the parts tommorow & start the rebuild over the weekend.

Arun,

Sounds like your well on top of it !!! Assume your going to be replacing the crank seals, aswell ? If not, I`d recommend you do. If you are, Good. Don`t want to sound smart assed as I`ve no grasp of your mechanical knowledge, so if I`m telling you how to suck eggs, just let me know.

Hi Howard, I trained as a Mechanical Apprentice (many years ago !) but about the most complex thing I deal with now on a practical level is a propelling pencil, so all comments/advise gratefully accepted

Thanks for the help .. Mike

btw i did replace the seals !

• 4 weeks later...

Have to say just completed my first trial on the bike post rebuild, no problems (other than its way to powerful for a rider of my standard, but a real laugh) Thanks for all the advise. Like the man said, its not to hard if you have some spannering experiance, take your time & and have a half decent work area.

• 9 months later...
The proper tool is a copy of a clutch plate, it locks the inner ond outer basket together, while undoing the centre nut. A rattle gun will also undo it. Don`t go jamming screwdrivers and bars into the thing, or you`ll end up snapping bits off.

Heed the advice given above....Attempted to remove the primary gear nut on my son's sherco 200, and found it to be bloody tight, thought i was careful how i restrained the gear...but..ending up busting an ear of the clutch basket :D got a hold of a rattle gun the next day and was all too easy.