Trials Curious

pat_56

Levers

The short levers are OK for on-off type riding. With trials, we tend to slip clutches and feather the brakes a lot more. This leads to very tired fingers. The longer levers give a lot more leverage meaning less force required and a finer level of control. Of course, the smooth operation of a well lubricated cable is important also.

Most bikes have the perches mounted so the end of the levers are about even with the bar ends. This leads to using 4 fingers on the levers (not best for trials) and broken levers when you fall. Some people switch to the shorter levers to reduce breakage. I better choice is to loosen the perches and slid them in toward the center of the bars such that you cannot fit more than 2 fingers on the lever when riding. Better leverage and less breakage. Also, either leave the perch mount bolts loose enough that the levers can rotate around the bars on impact. Not so loose that they move in normal riding.

The story of my life, I over think things while missing the obvious. I kept seeing posts and photos with the lever perches slid up the bars and thought it would be so much nicer to just put on short levers, their not too expensive. Never got it until this moment, that using original levers slid up the bar gave better leverage by retaining the longer levers while at the same time time providing more grip room for 2 fingers on and 2 fingers off.

Sometimes I need a little push to see if I'm awake.

Pat

• Like 1

XL200

You can make some changes to the XL200 to improve its trials potential (before everyone screams, I know it is not a trials bike!). Keep track of the beginning condition so you can go back to it if needed.

1) Smaller front sprocket will help with slow moving.

2) Soften up the suspension. Less preload on rear shock, adjust clickers in forks, even go to lighter fork oil. If there are spring spacers in the forks, remove or replace with shorter ones.

3) Slide the fork tubes up in the triple clamps - makes for better slow speed turning but increases twitchiness at higher speed.

4) Get rid of those big mirrors before you impale yourself! KTM has some folding mirrors or use some short bicycle mirrors. On my TLR I mounted some small ones close to the bars so I see under my arms.

5) I am not sure what your steering stops are like but you may be able to mod them to get more steering angle - just be careful of them hitting the tank.

I already have plans for a sprocket change, it will be an all around better off road bike especially to train new riders as a buddy bike. I do have the XL licensed and insured for the street because the law requires it here even to use off road, but I have never used it to go anyplace on the road, I have a street bike for that so twitcheyness will not be an issue unless you consider 30 miles per hour "Higher Speed".

The rear suspension has been setting on a hard position, that's an easy fix.

I never thought of rework on the forks, I did not realize that sliding them up the clamps would sharpen steering.

Sounds like a few adjustments that I can work with.

Not sure how I will go on the mirrors, I have come to appreciate them to keep an eye behind to adjust my speed for Spencer to keep up.

No, it's not a trials bike, but I will be using it to ride with my son as he gets used to his trials bike until we can save up and score a second trials bike. Best case scenario it will make it better trail bike for the type of slow twisty dirt riding we do and any new adult riders that want to drop by to be introduced to a very un-intimidating easy first ride experience.

Thanks for the tips!

Edited by pat_56

Well modifications are on hold this weekend, an old friend has called for help on raising roof trusses on his garage. I will let you know how they turn out when I get to do them. Yes it is amazing how fast 30 feels on one of these bikes, I will wind the TY up a little on the street once in a while, being a 2 stroke it definitely makes a difference after it has done a lot of poking around duty and I don't rev it too high. I don't have any idea how fast I go as the speedometer is no longer on it, perhaps 30 or a little bit more. The Honda doesn't really care how it is driven and it is not lively enough to offer any reward for pushing it.