Trials Curious

pat_56

If that tank is cherry or repairable by a dent guy I would shelve it for a Sammy Miller glass tank/ seat so the kids can have a go!

Just sayin'

I have checked out the Sammy Miller tank on line and I like it but I calculate that it will cost nearly $600 landed. I got the bike for $800 but it cost me $500 to get it and I have a pretty good list of must haves to make it a safe ride: brake shoes front and rear, cables, chain and sprockets, and the tires are cracked. So goes the tally. All things considered I am happy with the bike and my list freshen-up items are all consumables. I will attach a couple photos of my son's 1st bike that we just sold this spring after we used it for a little over 2 years. Always driven on dirt and believe it or not never spun. My son is just happy to drive along where I lead. He loves it but just does not seem to have a desire to ride aggressively. We like a small grove where we ride around between trees over lots of roots and mildly irregular mounds and rocks which is what gave me the idea of a trials for his next bike. He is thrilled to boast that he has a 175cc two stroke. These photos are after 2 years use, not before! Never spun, never on pavement, never had the throttle all the way open. Believe it or not.10462872_928305293863253_51533889979250810527441_928305297196586_12679008383181010366089_928305280529921_91988458801375410557256_928305283863254_60030285686100510411904_928305290529920_469193292636519

I ordered sprockets and an "O" ring chain today. I went with 55T rear and 12T front. This gives a ratio of 4.58, Had I gone Stock Rear 51T and dropped to a 11T front the ratio would be 4.64, stock was 3.92. Hopefully this will be a good choice for longevity and light trail riding. Ordered from my local Honda shop at as good or better than on line prices, no shipping, no currency exchange and it will be here by the end of the week.

That little CRF looks like new! Whoever bought it got a nice bike.

There is nothing inherently bad about the stock tank and seat.

I often see people recommending a one piece tank seat rig when people get an older bike. Sure they look nice, and are usually a little narrower, but they are not cheap.

If your stock tank is in really good condition with no dents or other damage, it can be worth a lot of money to people doing restorations. I have seen a couple particularly pristine looking tanks sell for more than you paid for the whole bike.

• 2 weeks later...

He was just right for it the year we got it but he took a growth spurt and this year just looked way too big for it. We got it new and I thought I would talk my wife into trying it but nothing doing now way, no how on that idea.

A kid sure grows a lot between 12 and 14!

My two girls have recently asked me "Dad can you teach us to ride a motorcycle now?". One is 20, one is 15. So they are starting at almost grown up!

I purchased a 2014 Yamaha TT125R 4T as an early xmas present for both to use.

It will be a stepping stone to a trials bike. They really needed a seat for first ever go of motorcycles... feet on ground, bum on seat, that is the clutch, that is the brake, that is a gear lever- it moves like this, that is the rear brake, these things are where your feet go when underway.

They were never really interested when younger as motorcycles was just what Mum and Dad rode around on. But when they saw the coloured gear of the trials outfits and saw mum having a great time... we want some of this, Dad!!!!

Didnt take very long! Two good days at our riding area and they are now taking off with good clutch control, changing gears to 2nd-3rd and running a straight line with no wobbling now!

Both addicted now.... and bleating about too little ride time because of study they do until holidays (one at Uni doing Engineering other is second last year of high school).

Wont be long I'll give the oldest one a go on her mum's Beta 4T!

Mags

• Like 1

My two girls have recently asked me "Dad can you teach us to ride a motorcycle now?". One is 20, one is 15. So they are starting at almost grown up!

I purchased a 2014 Yamaha TT125R 4T as an early xmas present for both to use.

It will be a stepping stone to a trials bike. They really needed a seat for first ever go of motorcycles... feet on ground, bum on seat, that is the clutch, that is the brake, that is a gear lever- it moves like this, that is the rear brake, these things are where your feet go when underway.

They were never really interested when younger as motorcycles was just what Mum and Dad rode around on. But when they saw the coloured gear of the trials outfits and saw mum having a great time... we want some of this, Dad!!!!

Didnt take very long! Two good days at our riding area and they are now taking off with good clutch control, changing gears to 2nd-3rd and running a straight line with no wobbling now!

Both addicted now.... and bleating about too little ride time because of study they do until holidays (one at Uni doing Engineering other is second last year of high school).

Wont be long I'll give the oldest one a go on her mum's Beta 4T!

Mags

Great to hear that Mags, I have two girls my self, 14 and 12, both express a interest in the trials bikes, will be looking for a 125 for them after xmas.

My wife has ridden road bikes for the last 20 years, her favourite one being her old GPZ900!, she has also got a eye on one of the montesa 247's. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Went for a pretty good trail ride today with my 14 year old son on his 1976 TY175. Very impressive for a 38 year old bike. He loved it for it's ability to practically idle over roots and rocks at a crawl under ease of control. He has been talking about it ever since. He was practicing riding standing up because it is how they ride in the videos he has been watching, he would also try standing still standing up with feet on the pegs and was getting it to two or three seconds at a time. I have not seen him this excited about anything with an engine. - And when I showed him the identification tag where it says it is a "Built for Competition" he was smiling from ear to ear. This bike fits him like a glove and is still a pretty darn good looking bike.

That is great to hear Pat. So cool that your boy loves it. You have opened up a whole different world for him away from the computer. Riding is good exercise and also builds self confidence - something most teenagers need. It is also a time when you two can enjoy time together and interact as grown up buddies as he matures. Take some cool pics and video of him riding to share with his friends and post to his various on-line presence. He will love that.

What a great Dad. :icon_salut:

I must say, I have had a lot of motorcycles, but I think that little TY is a sharp stylish looking little bike. I also like the look of that large 55 tooth rear sprocket and the super low gearing it makes with the 12 tooth front. After our ride he washed both bikes.

Today while I was at work, he got the Yamaha out of the Garage and practiced in the driveway trying to stand on it without putting his feet down. It was the first time ever that he has taken a machine out of the garage himself. So far this little bike has been quite a good choice.

Now I will be looking for a current style bike. We will share and exchange them both between us while my XL maintains stand by and Buddy Bike status.

1910261_949397405087375_280016464092833310408610_949397415087374_50305732221390410653842_949397441754038_40495372536557310676398_949397505087365_225959248213680

Edited by pat_56

Very, very cool.

I know that it might have just been a resting position, and I know how hard you have to pull drum brake levers, but suggest to him that it would be better to use at least 2 fingers to hang on to the bars. It looks like there is enough straight on the bars to be able to slide the perches inward, giving more leverage to apply the brake and clutch.

Balancing at a stopped position is challenging. Have him try riding slowly on the pegs and come to a stop and balance. Also, on a slight incline with the front wheel downhill put more weight on the front, making it easier to balance.

Its great to hear about him taking the initiative and showing the bikes some love.

Actually for the low key trail riding we are doing for now the brakes are quite adequate. I haven't gotten around to much fine tuning yet, a little at a time.

I have short levers on my XL200 which is also drum brakes, and my 900 ninja and I really like them. I was considering ordering a set for the TY175 also. Are their any compelling reasons that these might not be a proper choice for trials?

m811diZtJ5UJzSdj8aB51dw.jpg

Well I have done some TLC items on our little TY175 and we have had a few good outings. My son is delighted with his TY and loves to make fun of me on my XL200 as I struggle to make slow tight turns over roots and rocks where he is idling around with ease - this is a very good step for him to have that confidence.

I chose the TY based on advice I got on this site for the appropriateness of the bike for our purposes and it was spot on, it being in the opinion of most the clear choice for price, availability and ease of just about every thing from maintenance to learning and confidence building. Plus having a seat and pretty good size fuel tank gives it great versatility.

Now I am planing my next acquisition for next years season. We will both share and take turns using both bikes.

Speaking of more contemporary bikes larger than 200cc and probably newer than year 2000 is there any such clear choice for novice riding? I would like a 2cycle. I plan to make a small practice course in a currently uncultivated area of our back yard.

Are there any models or years that would be best avoided?

From time to time Yamaha TY250Z's come up really cheep, there is a 1994 available for $1200 that claims to be ride away condition and is really clean in the photo's, yes I know this contradicts my earlier criteria of newer than 2000, but perhaps there are a few older choices that I should not overlook that may have commendable attributes for my application of working on the basics.

Any thoughts?

Levers

The short levers are OK for on-off type riding. With trials, we tend to slip clutches and feather the brakes a lot more. This leads to very tired fingers. The longer levers give a lot more leverage meaning less force required and a finer level of control. Of course, the smooth operation of a well lubricated cable is important also.

Most bikes have the perches mounted so the end of the levers are about even with the bar ends. This leads to using 4 fingers on the levers (not best for trials) and broken levers when you fall. Some people switch to the shorter levers to reduce breakage. I better choice is to loosen the perches and slid them in toward the center of the bars such that you cannot fit more than 2 fingers on the lever when riding. Better leverage and less breakage. Also, either leave the perch mount bolts loose enough that the levers can rotate around the bars on impact. Not so loose that they move in normal riding.

• Like 1

XL200

You can make some changes to the XL200 to improve its trials potential (before everyone screams, I know it is not a trials bike!). Keep track of the beginning condition so you can go back to it if needed.

1) Smaller front sprocket will help with slow moving.

2) Soften up the suspension. Less preload on rear shock, adjust clickers in forks, even go to lighter fork oil. If there are spring spacers in the forks, remove or replace with shorter ones.

3) Slide the fork tubes up in the triple clamps - makes for better slow speed turning but increases twitchiness at higher speed.

4) Get rid of those big mirrors before you impale yourself! KTM has some folding mirrors or use some short bicycle mirrors. On my TLR I mounted some small ones close to the bars so I see under my arms.

5) I am not sure what your steering stops are like but you may be able to mod them to get more steering angle - just be careful of them hitting the tank.

• Like 1