04 280 Pro

colly

been looking on here, and a lot of people are saying pros need to be kept on top of a lot compared to other bikes, so what maintainence should i do my bike i clean my filter every ride. how often should my gearbox oil be changed? and what oil should i use? ;) thanks

colly, fortunately "a lot of people" have never actually owned one, but seem to have lots of opinions ;)

-Keep the air filter clean

-change gearbox oil regularly (the more frequent the better...clean oil is always best). I change mine after every second ride for instance.

-check spoke tension (perhaps monthly)

-check fasteners regularly

-grease linkage bearings and steering head bearings (monthly if riding in very wet conditions)

-lube pivot points (footpegs, shifter tip, levers, etc) A little spritz of WD40 on the frame and motor also helps prevent corrosion. Same goes for spoke nipples.

-wash bike after riding....that does not mean just getting the bike clean, it means doing a close look over as you wash all the little nooks and crannys. This is the most important item that is commonly missed. A little TLC goes a LONG way on ANY bike.

I got at great tip just before the Scottish this year. I think it was on this board somewhere.

Cut a small piece of sponge and put it in the bottom of the airbox. Any water that does end up in there will gather in the sponge and drip out the bottom and not jump and slosh around getting in to the intake.

Other than what others have said I'd agree as a multiple gas gas owner that people give them a bad name jsut for the hell of it. I've hardly had to touch any of mine.

Before Boofont says anything I did sieze on the SSDT this year but that could have happened on any bike. I had put a very small cut in one of the water pipes during one of my many falls and the water just gradually ran out.

I've owned Gasser's consistantly for a long time now, I would'nt want to swap to another make. They look gorgeous, engines are fantastic!, lots of different models available, awesome to ride, dead easy to work on, lots of extras/tweeking mods available. as JTT and r2w said, check tightness of components, silicon the airbox & exhaust joints etc.

People come on the forums and take the p**s outta people that ride Gas Gas', say the build quality is sh**e, they fall apart all the time. thats fine, but they seem to be by far the most popular bike around.

Gas GasUK could'nt be anymore helpful when it comes to after support/machanical support.

the 04 280 i had was superb, never had anything go wrong with it - brilliant.