Fitting A Keihin Pwk28

opdeweegh1

Hi All.

Just recieved the new Keihin PWK 28 for my 03 300 pro. Got it from BVM motos very good deal. Anyone got any fitting instructions, set up procedures. I also bought an additional size 48 pilot as I remember someone else telling me their's used to pink with the standard 45.

Anyone got any pictures of theirs fitted with fuelpipe and breather pipe routing.

Any help appreciated. ;)

First thing you need is some sort of spacer for the reed cage or the engine side spigot of the carb. The Keihin is shorter front to back than the DelOrto and the airboot won't reach. You can use a reed block spacer from an older TXT Edition model, or get a spigot adaptor (I think BVM sells them?).

You will then need a different throttle cable, as the stock one is a tad short. It can be made to work with a modified cable straw (the metal tube the cable runs in on the DelOrto), but better to just get the right cable.

Fuel line is no big deal, just plug it in. Route the vent lines down, or if your worried about alot of water, run the two float vents (the vertical fittings on either side of the carb body) up and into the airbox or some other high point. Cut the vent hoses hanging down at a sharp diagonal angle, this makes them less prone to filling with mud and failing to vent.

For pics, go to r2's site www.r2wtrials.com He's got a few pics of his newly installed carb.

Cheers for all the replies guys.

Next question!!

Fitted the carb with not too much bother, went out today and it ran like a dog, seemed to be hunting at the low end rev range. removed the needle and set the circlip to the 2nd from the bottom to allow more fuel seemd to be running not to bad after that.

Anyone got any idea how the needle should be set at and what about the air / fuel screw. the old dellorto was 3-1/2 turns out what should the keihin be?

;)

Dellorto pilot screw adjusts fuel , the KeiHin adjusts air. The more you wind it in the less air , so the richer it gets. Should run between 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns out.

The hunting your getting is lean, so when you lifted the needle that has richened up the bottom end.

There`s no "perfect "pilot, needle, main, setup for all conditions. Every altitude and temperature change will affect the mixture. Thats why they make so many different Needles, jets, and slides.

Recommend you chat with someone in your area with one ,and try their settings.

I`m running a 42 pilot, 110 main and JJJ needle, might be a good starting point for you if you`ve got nothing else.

Here is a chart showing how much affects up to half throttle.!!!!!

My WebpageURL][

Edited by Howard Wallace

opdeweeg,

Sorry, but just realised your running this on a 300. Have had a lot of experiance with them on Sherco 290`s, but the 300 will probably like a bit more fuel. 45 pilot and JJH needle will be a richer setup, than what I recommended.

What level of rider are you, as the type of power delivery can be taylored from, electric smooth for Clubman, to punchy for A Grade.

opdeweeg,

Sorry, but just realised your running this on a 300. Have had a lot of experiance with them on Sherco 290`s, but the 300 will probably like a bit more fuel. 45 pilot and JJH needle will be a richer setup, than what I recommended.

What level of rider are you, as the type of power delivery can be taylored from, electric smooth for Clubman, to punchy for A Grade.

Ah yes what level of rider am I? I would say the level that falls off a lot, so I am looking for the silky smooth delivery.

Since your reply I am currently setting the bike back up after my water pump seal failed so the carb is currently off the bike, I have already moved the needle clip back to the centre setting and screwed in the air screw as it was about 3 turns out.

No wonder it was hunting for fuel and running lean.

The jetting at present is 48 pilot and a jjh needle so will try your suggestions and see how we go.

;)

The jetting at present is 48 pilot and a jjh needle so will try your suggestions and see how we go.

:D

Try the 48 but I'd be surprised if the 45 is lean enough to make it hunt. I'd check for an air leak at the intake manifold. I'm presently running a 45 pilot, JJH in the middle clip in my 300 at sealevel and approx 20-25 C temps. A fatter pilot will help to smooth things out some, but check that intake regardless.