Brake Improvements

duckwizard

I'm not familiar with the bike, but in general:

Have your drum turned.

Warn whoever does it to take off the absolute minimum to bring it to round. Auto mechanics can be brutal and will take off .060 and trash your drum if you don't warn them.

Then find a brake place that can arc your shoes to exactly match the drum.

Get a catalogue from a home-made airplane supply company and buy some cable that has plenty of longitudal strands. Look for the ones that say they have minimal stretch. You'd be amazed at how much of your hand effort goes into pulling cable that twists and gets longer.

They should also sell ferrules that you can use for ends.

There are more things you can do, but just these 2 will make a major difference.

Can anyone confirm how to improve my front brakes on my B40.

At present these are bantam / cub hubs with standard shoes.

Any help please !!!

Can anyone confirm how to improve my front brakes on my B40.

At present these are bantam / cub hubs with standard shoes.

Any help please !!!

Hi

If you have cub brake plate, Fit a modified cam and lever, made by Ray Small.

I fitted them to my cub, much improved braking.

Ray's No 023 8069 3183.

Good Luck.

Charlie has it right.

Problem with new standard shoes is that do not match the diameter of the original used drum so only touch in the centre.

Have your shoes lined with oversize linings as new standard shoes don't have enough meat to turn to size.

Saftek can do this - (Cleckheaton West Yorks or Telford in Shropshire).

Then have them turned to match your worn and skimmed drum whilst on the brakeplate locked slightly open.

Matt Chambers (Scottish 2 day winner) does this and can pull stoppies on a standard Cub front brake hub.

If you swap the drum to the left, the cable is straighter, especially on compressed suspension, and the pull improved.

Dont forget the cross cuts to carry water to the outside.

They do need regular maintenance or they can grab when damp!!! :D

But it's worth it.

It's been a while but , I talked to a fellow at Serco ( was that Ray Small ? ) He talked about centering the bush on the backing plate . He said that the quality control was not the best and with some , it made an improvement .

M2C's

Hi 29r

Martin Adams is Serco, based at Brighouse, West Yorks, UK 01484 715288. He does the 250 conversions and has lots of Cub goodies.

The centre of the brake plate is made loose so that the pads can be centred by holding the brakes on whilst tightening the large nut that holds the back plate in place.

The centre of the brake plate is made loose so that the pads can be centred by holding the brakes on whilst tightening the large nut that holds the back plate in place.

.... :blink: ....

It was my understanding that the bush that the actuating arm goes thru is not centered . He asked how my brakes were and I said not too bad ( I had replaced the shoes ) . Then you must have a good one .

FWIW