Torque 247 Flywheel Nut

alchemy84

Hello all, I am working on a Cota 247 and need to refit the ignition flywheel. Does anyone have any tips to holding the engine from turning so I can torque the ignition flywheel nut? I found a suggested torque setting of 72 ftlbs, so if you could also confirm that is correct I would appreciate that also.

Thanks in advance

G,day Alchemy84 70 -72 ftlbs is correct depending on the year (I think) in any case 2ftlbs won't make any difference, the taper needs to be true, use some valve lapping compound & lap it in, I havent exackerly figured out the easiest way of holding it yet, I'm gonna try a belt type holder, like a oil filter removing tool for a car tied to the frame or footpeg or whatever else lends it's self. Very important I'm told to make sure that taper is true or it shears the key. 247's hold a special place in my heart also my shed, there's 6 of 'em in there (4 basket cases) also a 172 (nother basket) & if I can stop smoking & save the pennys there'll be a few more before I'm done. VIVA MONTESA

So I figured out a fairly good way to torque the flywheel but, so I thought I would share. This is how I did it and it worked well but I will also let you know what others suggested.

First I tried making a tool to hold the countershaft sprocket still while the engine was in gear, this didn't work because the clutch slipped before I made it to the required 72ftlbs.

What I tried next, which worked, is this...

I borrowed a chain wrench from a coworker, my idea was to use it to hold the counterweight on the clutch side of the crankshaft while I torqued the flywheel nut. I wrapped a rubber strap around the counterweight to protect it clamped on the chain wrench held it still with one hand and torqued the flywheel nut with my other hand. Worked great, I will provide a picture below.

Jared at Southwest Montesa also suggested a blocking tool he sells, which I believe blocks the piston from moving, and runs $85. He also said I could use an impact gun and hope for the best, which would have been my last resort.post-20130-0-07379200-1412354052_thumb.jpg