Lighting Requirements For Mot

social climber

Hello guys (and gals..)

I have recently bought a 1986 KDX200 to tidy up as a bit of a run around I can take into the woods near tthe house I'm moving to.

The bike is already registered but my question is, What are the lighting requirements for a full MOT. I have read through the forums and know it would be easy to get a daytime only MOT, but I reckon it shouldn't be that hard to get the full monty depending on the answers to these questionsr,

- Does the headlight need to have a full AND dipped beam if it did not come as standard? If I need the dip, any suggestions for an aftermarket item that runs on 6v electrics?

- If I go for a full MOT do I need indicators if the bike did not have them as standard?

- Does the brake light need to operate on both brake levers?

Thanks for the help...

Edited by Social Climber

You don't need a dip and full beam only working light. It can be a candle for that matter as long as it doesn't blow out when riding.

Indicators are not needed but if fitted must work.

Both levers must work the brake light if one is fitted but its not needed at all.

You don't need a dip and full beam only working light. It can be a candle for that matter as long as it doesn't blow out when riding.

headlight must conform to some regulations re light pattern emmited - I had an XR600 and bought two lots of Acerbis headlight units (they looked better that standard and bike was supermoto modded) and neither passed an MOT. I ended up taking a daytime only MOT :D

You're right though, on a KDX you shouldn't require indicators (I think it has something to do with no pillion pegs or 'intended use' or not fitted as standard).

hth