Montesa 248 Help

iltakeafive

Hi guys,

Just brought a 248. Having trouble adjusting the clutch cable, any chance someone has a pic of where all the cables route as got a feeling it's routed wrong and taped to the frame.

Also carb settings? It's a amal carb, L2627 410 if that means anything? Is it even the correct carb?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mat

Hi Larry,

Have checked my pm's and tried the GasGas carb, but it won't fit without buying new inlets etc.

So not wasting money.

Spark plug tester arrives today, see if we're getting a spark under compression.

If not it's definitely a carb problem so I've priced up an Oko flat side save messing around anymore.

Dave.

Mat,

Sorry seem to have hijacked your post a little, sorry about that, but it's all relevant to 248's.

Have you check out a site called Teflon Mike.

If you put Teflon Mike 248 Montesa in google it should take you to his site and it has a full downloaded comprehensive 248 manual which should show you what you need.

If not I'll take mine off and send you some images.

Where are you in the UK?

Dave.

Edited by chappo

Mat,

Forgot to mention, although you may have picked up on it.

The last image shows the clutch cable leaving it's adjuster on the engine casing, from there mine goes up the right hand side frame tube, in front of the headset and behind the number board.

Mine is super light, but I have stripped it all down.

It may help lubricating the cable, I just hang mine up and form a funnel on one end using blue tack fill the blue tack funnel with some light oil and by the following day it will be somewhat lighter. But it does depend on the condition of your cable, it won't cure kinks in cables.

Dave.

Brilliant cheers dave, chains done, clutch is done, now got a problem with front brake, I've fitted a new cable but no matter how the cable or lever is adjusted there is no brake, Im thinking the brake bars the wrong length as if I unbolt it and move the drum then pull the lever the brake works. Looking at your first pic dave, my brake cable runs the other side of the fork leg. Cheers