Hello From A Newbie In Blackpool, Lancashire

ladyraceruk

Hi,

My name's Lou and I've just bought a Beta 125 after loving a brief 'have a go' session at the NEC. I've ridden road bikes for the last 18 years but this will be my first go at off-roading or anything that doesn't require me to go flat out! I'm looking to join a local club and have a go at some beginner trials, but I've got no real trials experience whatsoever, so I'm not sure just how 'beginner' they cater for!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,

Lou

Living in Blackpool, the club likely to be of most use to you is Lancs County MCC which operates around the Carnforth/Caton/Bentham area.

However, as a beginner, the best place to start is by taking part in a Sunday or Wednesday evening trial when this club has a easy clubman route. They have a trial on New Year's Day at Ingleton but whilst the course planned for that day is fairly easy, it's a one route trial and the suggestion is that you visit this trial on Thursday and have a look at what they offer. Some of the sections you would be able to do, but some would probably be a bit difficult but even so bear in mind this trial is aimed at all classes from 14 year old riders up to those in their late sixties. They will all be capable riders and there's no easy way to become such a rider.

So the suggestion is to have a look at this trial, start time is 11am, then plan to have a go in their February event which is on the 22nd. Speak with folks, get an idea of what is on offer with them and other clubs and take it from there. It's not an easy learning curve, but it's enjoyable and it doesn't matter to anyone, except perhaps yourself, how good or bad you are. Nobody else cares but all will offer suggestions.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply and advice. I'll probably just spectate on Thursday (don't have bike transport yet anyway!), bring some money to join the club and then aim to get some practice before the trial on the 22nd Feb! The Wednesday night trials sound like a good idea and any Sunday trial with an easy route. You're right - I will care if I'm awful but I'm looking forward to the (steep) learning curve!

Will probably see you at the trial on Thursday if you're there.

Lou

Why don't you live in my neighborhood ?

Enjoy the ride , take your time , ask questions , DON'T be embarrassed , AND HAVE FUN !!!!

And if you can hook up with HRMAD on here , If she's close to you ...

A riding buddy is always best ...and listen to Hillary ..... :)

Good luck and welcome ;

Glenn