Replacement Rear Brake Line Q's. 02 Rev 3 Beta

19delta

Help!!! :wall:

I have an 02 Beta Rev 3, and the rear brake line runs from the master cylinder, up over air tube (directly under seat), then back down, (narrowly missing the exhaust), then it runs down and back towards the rear, directly under the shock reservoir. Mine is a braided line (factory??) and barely rubs the the bottom of the rear shock reservoir, and now has a leak.

I am in the USA, and nobody has one in stock, but can order it for $98. I can have one made for around $60, so that is the route I am going.... unless your wisdom tells me other wise....

Here are my questions:

1. Since I am replacing the line, should I go with a smaller diameter line? The local road/dirt bike shop (not trials) says it makes the brakes more responsive, because less fluid needs pushed to actuate the pistons. I have owned the bike for about 9 months, and the brakes have always felt soft/weak/spongy. I now wonder if maybe the line was weak and was expanding? Thoughts?

2. Mike at the Tryals Shop has an 03,04,and 05 Rev 3, and he said those run UNDER the air tube, but really close to exhaust. Am I better off going this route? If so, now the concern is, how do I get that line made? Since I don't have a "take off" to take into shop. Obviously I can take my line in, and they can reproduce exact fittings, angles, etc to remake mine. (although I will probably go about 1" longer so it's not so tight by shock reservoir. (I suppose I could take bike in to make shorter one, but it's -24 F with windchill. I'm not overly joyed about loading onto open trailer and hauling in. Plus I am sure they would need to be paid for the extra time.

Thanks to all for any and all input! I figure somebody has been down this road, and can tell me what they did and the results.... at least I hope. :-)